Random operation of optional lighting pack - 2023 Sven Hedin - MAN TGE

Gra

Our MAN Sven Hedin. (2023) has the optional lighting package, with 4 light switches above the sink. The optional lighting package includes a light strip under the kitchen counter, light strips in the roof storage compartments, a light column in the bathroom unit wall, and a dimmer control. In addition to this, we have what are probably the “standard” lights of spots under the cupboards, main bathroom lights an external light and a light over the cooker.

We are in our second week of a 10 week trip to Europe and all the lights in the “option” pack plus the kitchen light have started turning off randomly. Essentially, the lights are turned on, but then the all drop out together. And then some time later, they all come back on together. The standard lights are unaffected, so it’s not mission critical. Toggling the lights on and off don’t work - they are either working or not.

At the moment we are on hook-up, at 14.2V, the leisure batteries have been well maintained and seem to be charging. I’ve tried turning all the electrics off and on again (using the big red circuit breaker under the drive seat), but no change.

I guess it’s something to do with the wiring on the option pack, although am bemused about the kitchen light also being part of this. It can’t be a fuse blown, otherwise the lights would stay out. They’re LED lights, so I guess it’s part of some switched 12V circuit. I can’t find any wiring diagrams online. The owners manual has a vague reference to a fuse number 4 in the additional fuse bowl under the passenger seat - calls it “only optional equipment - 23A”. Seems like a lot of current for LED lights though.

Anyone have any ideas about how to start testing or fixing? We still have 7-8 weeks to go (lucky us), so it would be nice to have our swanky and expensive lights working!

Have you tried adjusting the dimmer setting when you have issues with the lights?

View attachment 711
The dimmer controls are the two lightbulb symbols on the right of this panel.
Yes, tried that. The lights are going off at all levels of illumination. We did find sometimes though that fiddling with the control made the lights come back on (but not at low intensity). And sometimes the dimmer controls just had no impact on the lights coming back again.

The switches or circuits that are affected are switches 1,2 and 4 (from right to left, see pic)

IMG_7844.jpeg

Not yet. It’s Bank Holiday weekend at home!

I’ve noticed that as I flick each switch on, I get momentary illumination - it’s very quick, but enough to suggest that it’s not the fuse. We started this evening with lights on, but most of them have stopped working again now .

It definitely sounds like the dimmer or the feed to the switches as all three switches are doing the same.

Back