Testing New Van

Underfloor heating ????

Tell us more
The Sven Hedin has a ‘wet’ heating system with radiators/convectors. The winter pack includes an addition convector in the cab, underfloor heating and a heated shower tray.

The system has three zones, the main habitation area, the washroom and underfloor/shower tray. All can be set at different temperatures.

Currently -4 again outside and it is lovely and warm in the van.

The system is also diesel powered.

Congratulations TonyL! Nice looking van. How are you finding the water tanks in sub-zero temps? I’ve drained them on our Sven just now as worried about them freezing. I be wondered whether the heating system is affected by draining everything down, and whether everything fills again just from the one water inlet on the van side?

Congratulations TonyL! Nice looking van. How are you finding the water tanks in sub-zero temps? I’ve drained them on our Sven just now as worried about them freezing. I be wondered whether the heating system is affected by draining everything down, and whether everything fills again just from the one water inlet on the van side?
At the moment all OK. The fresh water tank is under the bed, and there is a radiator in the garage, so won’t freeze. The waste tank under the van is insulated and heated, I have the tank heater on.

The heating does not drain when you drain the water down. The wet heating has antifreeze in it. So when you drain the tanks you are only draining the hot/cold water systems.

To recommission after draining down you need to close the drain valves, taps and shower, then fill the fresh water tank. You then switch the water pump back on and purge the air out. You run each tap/shower in the hot and cold positions until all of the air is out.

At the moment all OK. The fresh water tank is under the bed, and there is a radiator in the garage, so won’t freeze. The waste tank under the van is insulated and heated, I have the tank heater on.

The heating does not drain when you drain the water down. The wet heating has antifreeze in it. So when you drain the tanks you are only draining the hot/cold water systems.

To recommission after draining down you need to close the drain valves, taps and shower, then fill the fresh water tank. You then switch the water pump back on and purge the air out. You run each tap/shower in the hot and cold positions until all of the air is out.
Thank you for this, that’s very helpful, and makes sense. Enjoy the winter season out there!

Nice heating system there. Lucky you don’t have a Grand California that dumps the fresh water at 3 degrees 🙄 A cable tie has sorted this for me whilst we are using it.

Nice heating system there. Lucky you don’t have a Grand California that dumps the fresh water at 3 degrees 🙄 A cable tie has sorted this for me whilst we are using it.
Interesting design 😬. The Eberspacher diesel system is very good. It uses very little diesel and it cuts out if the tank gets to under a quarter full so you can still start the engine the next morning!

Back