Heating interior van

gavandi

Pro
Advice/info please....
I'm running my interior heating straight from the vans own diesel.
Does anyone have any info regarding how much diesel is used under normal conditions....ie this country not normally under 5 deg C .
Mostly just breakfast time/eve and night.
Cheers

You could keep a spare gallon can for emergencies until you’ve a better idea of how long your diesel lasts?

(Bit smelly though)

I can't answer how much diesel a D2 Airtronic uses but I can say that ours in a LWB High roof T6 with a 801 modulator using the external thermostat (the one inside the 801) when we set it at 16 degrees we have never been able to see any increase in total fuel consumption. I record all fuel put in the tank from day one to current mileage of 70k miles. When camping in cooler climes we set the heater and let it do its thing for as many days as necessary, when using the van for day to day driving it's often switched on before use to warm the van and switched off on return home.

Just as an aside Gav, we draw the cab curtain when driving. We really feel the benefit as the cab heat stays in the cab rather than just getting lost in the back. Same during the summer with the air con

Just as an aside Gav, we draw the cab curtain when driving. We really feel the benefit as the cab heat stays in the cab rather than just getting lost in the back. Same during the summer with the air con
Good 💡

Hi Gavandi.
I’d be interested to know how you’ll be taking an outlet from existing tank. I know the earlier crafters had a spare 90 degree outlet from the tank which is blocked off. Is there one on the new Crafter I wonder?

Alternatively, a 400x400x80mms auxiliary tank can be fitted somewhere……behind one of the 3 seats, appropriately boxed in with say ally chequer plate.

Love to know , as I too am in the throws of doing one or other.

Further to my previous thread, any one interested there is a blanked off 3rd fuel outlet ….see picture .
For clarity, these later Crafter MK2 are vertical, early models come out at right angles.
( sorry if I’m high jacking thread, not intended, just thread related).

108F1705-6F01-4E36-A5A7-83C2AB3395E8.jpeg

Further to my previous thread, any one interested there is a blanked off 3rd fuel outlet ….see picture .
For clarity, these later Crafter MK2 are vertical, early models come out at right angles.
( sorry if I’m high jacking thread, not intended, just thread related).
Thanks, am I correct in assuming that this connection is extended almost to the bottom of the sender unit so the sender does not need to be removed from the tank to bring this into use?

Hi.
Looking at other pictures on eBay of the same units, it would seem a pipe is already in place to the bottom of the tank.
HoweverIF IT STOPS RAINING 😱😱, I will get under the van and have a peek.

But I’m suspecting being in a vertical plane they’ll be even less room to work…..is it a case of lowering the tank just enough to get a hose + clip on. Prior to that the little nib on the spout needs cutting off cleanly, ie don’t use a hacksaw fear of plastic bits falling the tank…….hot knife blade maybe?
In any event, I’m going for the quick release fuel stop hose mechanism…

Hi.
Looking at other pictures on eBay of the same units, it would seem a pipe is already in place to the bottom of the tank.
HoweverIF IT STOPS RAINING 😱😱, I will get under the van and have a peek.

But I’m suspecting being in a vertical plane they’ll be even less room to work…..is it a case of lowering the tank just enough to get a hose + clip on. Prior to that the little nib on the spout needs cutting off cleanly, ie don’t use a hacksaw fear of plastic bits falling the tank…….hot knife blade maybe?
In any event, I’m going for the quick release fuel stop hose mechanism…
The genuine pipe does not have a separate connector, it's part of the pipe, however it doesn't look too expensive so may be worth in investing in the OEM item at least from the top of the tank to an accessible location. The price looks to be about £10 - £12 + VAT but that's only a guess. Don't go by the part number in the illustration without checking, maybe @Pauly can confirm or your dealer.

1672832733455.png

I’ve just called the VW dealership, and yes that item ( no.22) is £13.00 approx inc vat. There are none in the UK, but it’s only a ten day order turn around.
Also there is an elbow (90*) that goes over that plastic spigot from the tank on the length of piping. I much prefer to use oem piping as the generic fuel one in rubber from say Gates, tends to perish very quickly. I’ll be using some 8mm copper tubing too to make up any shortfall.

I'm not sure if anyone here is interested but I'm going to be installing a hydronic heated floor system into my new van when it pokes its head out from under the covers of the manufacturing winter that has been of late. Will be instant hot water with no reservoir tank so as much as your fresh water can hold. And will have an air blown option as well. Looking forward to retaining heat in depth of winter. American company designed and tested. Looking forward to the warmth. Erberspacher hard wear. Roll on

Back