Hello everyone.

rod_vw

Pro
It's great to see that we have a new forum dedicated to the VW Crafter and MAN TGE range of vehicles, thanks @Pauly for your efforts.

As is obvious from my forum name I am Rod, I've been a VW enthusiast since 1968, yes I am that old! I've owned and driven Beetles, Type 4s (the air-cooled ones), Bay Window vans, Type 25 (T3) vans, T4s, T5s and T6s and now waiting for a LWB 3.180 MAN TGE to be delivered. There is a copy of the specification that is on order attached for those interested, the options codes are MAN not VW.
I joined the T6 forum when we bought the current 2016 LWB T6 becoming acquainted with Paul at that time. Our current stable contains a 1946 Beetle and a 2016 T6, just about as different as we could possibly get! The Beetle ties in with our other club interest, the Historic Volkswagen Club, of which I am president and founder member.

I own a full version of VCDS but must confess that I am by no means an expert in any of its capabilities. However I'm always willing to help any owner with VCDS within my capabilities.

Since escaping from full time employment with BT in 2004 I have converted five campers, a T4, three T5s and the T6 all on new LWB base vehicles. We have used all of them as everyday cars and holidays both in the UK and in Europe. Many of the European ones being four or five week jaunts, we've been in Europe for a total of eleven weeks in 2022.

I do not plan to convert the TGE myself for various reasons...
  • I'm getting older and less agile.
  • I'm reluctant to get my head around a new design.
  • From experience I know that to build our ideal vehicle with all of the little bugs ironed out will require at least two subsequent conversions.
  • So I'll let someone with experience do this one even if I have to massage it into our required vehicle later.
Below are our last three campers, the current T6, a T5.1 and a T5.

DSCN6291@25%.jpg

The other Volkswagen en route to the vintage VW meeting at Bad Camberg, Germany in 2019. A 1200 mile round trip with the T6 following close behind.

On the way to Bad Camberg.jpg

Rod

Attachments

• Rod's MAN TGE Spec.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
πŸ‘

Just think, kids tomorrow won’t have a clue about gearboxes, let alone double de-clutching πŸ˜”

πŸ‘

Just think, kids tomorrow won’t have a clue about gearboxes, let alone double de-clutching πŸ˜”
When I taught my eldest (now 48) to drive I taught him the basics of changing gear without the clutch. Some years later he was on his own traveling through Belgium towards home here in Shropshire in his air-cooled Type 25 (T3). Something happened to the clutch causing direct drive from the engine to the gearbox. He rang me back home and was bluntly told 'I taught you how to drive without the clutch so get on with it and bring it home' That's just what he did but unfortunately chipped a gear when he got caught up in a traffic jam in the Dartford Tunnel.
The actual problem turned out to be the needle bearing in the end of the crank had seized to the gearbox input shaft. It was a swine to change even though the shaft came away OK as it's not as simple as a Type 1 engine which has the bearing in the flywheel gland nut.

Back