Battery woes….

Grubscrew

Pro
So currently I run 3 x 100amp lithium batteries, not cheap items at £480 each😵, but I was aware of that.
So one battery has decided to die.
That’s the reason I have 3 and not one battery of 300amp.
Tbh, I’ve not been keeping an eye on the BMS of all three batteries, recently, as all been fine, but early one morning the mppt started to flash, the roof vent maxxair started to make intermittent noise ( like a dying smoke alarm but more rapid).
So battery no2 is dead, no signal, ( Wi-Fi) . Lucky I bought them locally to where I live, and the seller happily will honour the guarantee.
But it’s just to say, failures happen, have a back up( in this case two other batteries).
Incidentally, perameters had been set to shut down on over/ under voltage protection….see what happens 🤔.

All 3 in parallel? Very strange. Are they fused individually, before a common buss bar point?

Its wise to have each battery fused individually, ( treat them as individual sources), before the common bus. If one goes south, and decides to dump it’s energy onto the other good ones, it can be very dangerous. Same goes for 3 parallel inverters, each has its own fuse, same goes for 3 phase, each phase its fused, and even 3 solar panels in parallel, each one it’s fused.
Even as it is, if one is dropping out, should not affect the others carry on. Also any bms, it’s not 100% fail proof, don’t rely on it alone, a fuse can save your van, or your life if you are asleep.

Back