Balancing of battery cells….

Grubscrew

Pro
Well there’s a thing! Unbeknown to me and maybe others, lithium and similar types are supposed to have their cells balanced for equal charging.
This only came to light because I was looking on the BMS XIAOXIANG app, whilst the rain hammers down. The technical knowledge one needs to set these batteries up is quite baffling.
Although my 3 x 100amp units are charging and seem to be 🙂, ( according to MT50), they are slightly “out of balance”.
I have 4 cells in each battery apparently, 12 in total.🙄

Relying on the MPPT solar module as well as the MT50 to set certain parameters is not sufficient!
The little knowledge I have about this currently , will soon change as I’m about to embark on some of this technical wizardry .
So whether you have one , two or three or more of these BMS ( Battery management systems ) it’s worth while getting these batteries delivering equal charging and discharging.
This will then prolong the expected life of this costly power source .

If any one has already done this, I’d value their input.

Well there’s a thing! Unbeknown to me and maybe others, lithium and similar types are supposed to have their cells balanced for equal charging.
This only came to light because I was looking on the BMS XIAOXIANG app, whilst the rain hammers down. The technical knowledge one needs to set these batteries up is quite baffling.
Although my 3 x 100amp units are charging and seem to be 🙂, ( according to MT50), they are slightly “out of balance”.
I have 4 cells in each battery apparently, 12 in total.🙄

Relying on the MPPT solar module as well as the MT50 to set certain parameters is not sufficient!
The little knowledge I have about this currently , will soon change as I’m about to embark on some of this technical wizardry .
So whether you have one , two or three or more of these BMS ( Battery management systems ) it’s worth while getting these batteries delivering equal charging and discharging.
This will then prolong the expected life of this costly power source .

If any one has already done this, I’d value their input.
I will be in the same learning curve albeit with only one battery come the day that our TGE is on the road so please keep us posted on your experiences.

If you have 3 100ah batteries with bms built in, the challenge you can control it’s having equal paths for each battery to contribute equal. The balancing of each 12v block it’s taken care of the bms. It they are fairly unbalanced, you can baby sit them to help things a little. Once balanced they should remain so for a long time.
They only balance at the top when reach absorb voltage. I have built few at 48v for static power. The bms I used JK, it’s fully configurable and set very conservative.
0DBE9C70-2D6B-4ABB-BFE0-C6448233D74C.jpeg6167019B-8534-41A1-9D83-3BB9E3ADBFF4.png

I balance the cells by putting them in paralel, before building the pack, otherwise the bms will take weeks to balance. 17AFF327-71E7-431A-BB2C-9B25CF602D2A.jpeg

FDC2AFA2-F89F-433E-B037-ABA718B9B5D4.jpeg

This chap is worth talking to👍 Thank you Raul.
I have an appointment with my battery man, and he’s hoping to sort out the balance…keep you posted.
So much to learn with these units😳

If you have 3 100ah batteries with bms built in, the challenge you can control it’s having equal paths for each battery to contribute equal. The balancing of each 12v block it’s taken care of the bms. It they are fairly unbalanced, you can baby sit them to help things a little. Once balanced they should remain so for a long time.
They only balance at the top when reach absorb voltage. I have built few at 48v for static power. The bms I used JK, it’s fully configurable and set very conservative.
View attachment 393
I balance the cells by putting them in paralel, before building the pack, otherwise the bms will take weeks to balance.
Can I borrow a couple for my camera please Raul, the shop has run out of AAA batteries!

🤭 🤣🤣

Back