Difficulty finding insurance! Professionally converted vehicle.

rod_vw

Pro
I'm posting the text off a FB page which may help others.

Trying to get insurance for a MAN TGE value £85k kept on the road, I've no option to that. It's been with Brentacre / Markerstudy whilst being converted. Just before renewal Markerstudy say they don't insure this type of vehicle anymore!

Just to outline my cover requirements. LWB TGE 3.180 Auto 12 months old professionally converted. Has to be parked on the street and need cover for about 13000 miles per year. Two drivers (Retired), clean licenses, only one year NCB on this but seven years NCB can be 'mirrored' from another policy, TF1 Post Code.
Brentacre NO - underwriters, Markerstudy change of policy don't insure such vehicles!
A-Plan - much too high a value!.
LV - Don't cover this type of vehicle!
Just Kampers - Now here's a thing they have quoted me around £1500 and with Markerstudy??
Adrian Flux - about £1420 which includes their required tracker included with this insurance period.
Lifesure - As I only have one year NCB on this vehicle (seven years on another) will not cover. Would need a tracker.
Performance Direct - Can't cover due to value and on-street parking.
Admiral - about £1450 no tracker needed.
Comfort - Can't cover due to value and on-street parking.
Safeguard - Can't cover due to value and on-street parking.
Currently waiting for the NFU and Norton Insurance to quote.

Anybody got any more ideas? Adrian Flux look the best deal yet.

Looks like the risk to them is too great….To some degree, I can see their p.o.v.
Postcode areas also have a huge factor.
We are with LV, and there’s no issue, as it’s parked on private land.

There are too many scumbags out there to either damage or nick your pride and joy.
Sorry it’s a real pain….

I struggled last year but got policy through safeguard with lots of security upgrades.
They reinsured this year again without issue and dropped the price surprisingly!!
Mine on driveway so guess it's the road parking that's the issue.
Good luck

Right - here is an update. I've gone with Adrian Flux but I have reduced the value to £75,000. See listing below for my findings.
Note that I cannot guarantee the phone numbers as they are from my jottings on a big notepad
A-Plan01635879910 - initially much too high a value!. Re-quoted @ £75,000 value with Sabre Insurance good price about £850 BUT only 30 days European cover. No use to us!
LV - Don't cover this type of vehicle!
Just Kampers01256 444546 - Now here's a thing they have quoted me around £1500 and with Markerstudy??
Adrian Flux - 0800 783 1392 - about £1420 which includes their required tracker included with this insurance period. Re-quoted @ £75,000 value with Trinity Lane includes tracker at about £1300 also included excess cover.
Lifesure01480 402460 - As I only have one year NCB on this vehicle (seven years on another) will not cover. Would need a tracker.
Performance Direct - 01708 564181 - Can't cover due to value and on-street parking.
Admiral 0330 1343204 - about £1450 no tracker needed.
Comfort0208 9840777 - Can't cover due to value and on-street parking.
Safeguard0333 0608706 - Can't cover due to value and on-street parking.
Norton Insurance – Eventually after chasing them for an answer can’t cover at that value.
Currently still waiting for the NFU to quote, so given up gone with Adrian Flux.

Glad you’ve got it sorted.
Insurance is an absolute minefield. It seems to me to be more of an entitlement to drive on the roads so you don’t get slapped with 6 points and a £1000 fine.
However, I will say that my Son has various email address, and at a young age is penalised . He does various quotes at various times of the year. He’s sussed out that if you get a quote 29 days before the existing insurance is due to expire that will be the cheapest price as opposed to a quote within 1 to 5 days of an existing policy ending.

Glad you’ve got it sorted.
Insurance is an absolute minefield. It seems to me to be more of an entitlement to drive on the roads so you don’t get slapped with 6 points and a £1000 fine.
However, I will say that my Son has various email address, and at a young age is penalised . He does various quotes at various times of the year. He’s sussed out that if you get a quote 29 days before the existing insurance is due to expire that will be the cheapest price as opposed to a quote within 1 to 5 days of an existing policy ending.
Yes I know - Martin Lewis recommendation - however I was left in the lurch by Brentacre / Markerstudy which didn't give me much time to get it sorted. Luckily being retired I had time to ring around all of the above, that is why I listed it all out in the hope that it would save others some time searching.

I had the same letter from Brentacre, I kind of knew it would be an issue as I had a quote to insure a classic car with Brentacre recently and the agent told me Markerstudy had pulled from the market at the moment.

A little annoyed as I have 3 vans with Brentacre including the crafter. Crafter renewed this week, other two renewed in August so I gave Brentacre a call to try and work out if I’ll eventually have to move all vehicles, however, they found me another underwriter £5 less than last year...

I had the same letter from Brentacre, I kind of knew it would be an issue as I had a quote to insure a classic car with Brentacre recently and the agent told me Markerstudy had pulled from the market at the moment.

A little annoyed as I have 3 vans with Brentacre including the crafter. Crafter renewed this week, other two renewed in August so I gave Brentacre a call to try and work out if I’ll eventually have to move all vehicles, however, they found me another underwriter £5 less than last year...
The problem with mine was the value and the fact that it was parked on the street, plus I guess that I had only one year NCB on that particular policy. Hopefully it will be better next year when my full NCB can be applied to the TGE policy.

Renewed my insurance today. Sven Hedin (12 months old) no issues and they (Safeguard) have classed it as parked on road.

Is it because it is a self build?

Renewed my insurance today. Sven Hedin (12 months old) no issues and they (Safeguard) have classed it as parked on road.

Is it because it is a self build?
No, it's not a self-build I guess it's the value I've put on it plus the lack of NCB on this policy. Maybe even the Post Code although I doubt it.

That is strange, my value is over £90k. Perhaps it is postcode and NCB?
Could I ask (PM if necessary) how much your renewal was please?

I do have a annual mileage limit on mine up at 13,000miles which may also have some influence.

Back