How many miles is too many?

Currently drive a LWB T5.1 kombi with a bed in the back, has worked well for the last couple of years for weekend trips but its really not a camper, just a simple bed platform and thats it.

Now with an expanding family im looking for a bigger van to properly convert and am looking at a 2018 onwards LWB Crafter which im hoping to convert myself into a 4 berth.

I've only just really started the search and wasn't hoping to spend more than about £15k on the van, (this may be unrealistic though - time will tell), all the vans i look at on ebay seem to have 200K+ on them.

My Transporter has 188k on the clock and i feel is starting to get a little long in the tooth really, if im going to spend all the time and money coverting then ideally i want something around half that.

Obviously these vans have seen a few years commercial use, and on one hand its good to see they're apparently going strong at 250k miles+ (if you believe the adverts at least).

So those of you that have bought used crafters, what mileage did you buy yours at? What did you consider to be too high and why?

I don’t know how relevant my answer is to you but I needed Euro 6 compliance as I live in London.
I bought (in 2018) a pre regd demonstrator from VW because it was such a bargain at the time.

Personally, high mileage wouldn’t bother me IF I was able to do more mechanical jobs. After all they are commercial vans designed for high mileage.

Even so, I’d check the vans history very carefully - confirm mileage with tyre previous owner if poss?

A lot depends on what type of miles.

If the van has spent most of its life cruising up and down the motorway it will have a less stressful life than a delivery van in London.

Knowing what the van was used for and service history will tell you a lot about the van.

I don’t know how relevant my answer is to you but I needed Euro 6 compliance as I live in London.
I bought (in 2018) a pre regd demonstrator from VW because it was such a bargain at the time.

Personally, high mileage wouldn’t bother me IF I was able to do more mechanical jobs. After all they are commercial vans designed for high mileage.

Even so, I’d check the vans history very carefully - confirm mileage with tyre previous owner if poss?

A lot depends on what type of miles.

If the van has spent most of its life cruising up and down the motorway it will have a less stressful life than a delivery van in London.

Knowing what the van was used for and service history will tell you a lot about the van.
Thanks guys, thats given me something to think about. Whilst 200k+ still puts me off, maybe I’ll have a little more of a look towards the higher end.

Still a little way off making an offer on anything as I’ve got to shift my transporter first. My transporter is a startline and has no cruise control or aircon, I though this would be standard for startline trim levels but I’m seeing startline crafters that’s come with these…

is anyone able to outline the general differences between the different trim levels? Seems with the trend line you just get a multifunction steering wheel and a reversing camera, there must be more to it though!

Hi, i have a trend line, and compared to highline, the only thing im missing is parking assist i think. I do have parking pilot, cruse, speed limiter, air con, etc. The rear camera its a option, i fitted myself and infotaiment its the same.
If anyone knows more please add/ correct as applicable.
In regards to miles, if you want to keep it for a good while, as low as you can afford. The miles add up fast. We got ours at 25k in 2018, and now 88k. All done mostly on the continent touring.

Back