What spec for conversion

Soulstyledevon

Evening Guys,

I’m about to start looking for a Crafter. I’m considering both used and brand new.

Should I, go down the new route, what is an ideal base van for conversion?
I want MWB, but can you spec no bulkhead, factory swivel seats etc…?

What would be on the essential list…?

Hi

Dont’ forget that the MAN TGE is the same vehicle and usually better value.

If you buy second hand you can never find the spec you want and may regret it at a later stage. Some things can be retro fitted if needed. However, buying second hand may be better value.

There is a configurator on the MAN website, I’m sure that VW have the same.

Thanks guys.
I will check out the man site and try and spec one.
An important aspect for me, is no bulkhead, factory swivel seats and Aircon.
I’m guessing anything else could be retro fitted.

I’ve just sold my Hymer and looking forward to having something bespoke.
Can’t decide wether to try and self convert or pay someone.

If you are buying new go for the spec you want, some things can retro fitted but usually cost more.

I went through the same thought process, self build, pay someone to convert or buy from a manufacturer.

Went for a Westfalia Sven Hedin in the end for a number of reasons.

If you are buying new go for the spec you want, some things can retro fitted but usually cost more.

I went through the same thought process, self build, pay someone to convert or buy from a manufacturer.

Went for a Westfalia Sven Hedin in the end for a number of reasons.

I’ve just come from a Hymer. Really liked it, but found I never used the bathroom and it was a real space killer.
So want a van with an outdoor shower and a toilet which can be slid out of sight and thus open up the living space within.

Nice vans the Westies. Always liked the finish on them.

I went new base van and someone to fit out to spec we felt comfortable with
You'll never get 100% as always some compromise necessary.
I deleted bulkhead and went auto and aircon. Auto was a no brained.
Lots of extras with Lane assist etc and sensors.
As above, difficult to get second hand with your perfect wish list!
Good luck

The configurator is hard to understand with all the different packages and exactly what is included.
I’ve been on the Man site. Quite fancy a Starlight blue van.
I think my final spec MWB was nearly £60k and it was only 2wd…

We ordered a LWB MAN TGE in August 2021 which was delivered in November 2022 (long story, not worth bothering you with) however attached is the spec of the vehicle that we ordered. It is now reaching the end of its conversion. I know that some descriptions have changed in the ordering system now but it will give you a clue.
I haven't been back through that list recently but we did add TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) in the end. Those codes are MAN but I think I can find VW ones should you wish.
Since delivery I have added a grab handle to the sliding door side of the B pillar and glove box cooling connected to the aircon box. Both items were sourced from TPS (VW Trade Parts Service) but would probably have been cheaper had I ordered them from MAN.

Attachments

• TGE Spec 04_08_21.pdf
    438.4 KB · Views: 10
We ordered a LWB MAN TGE in August 2021 which was delivered in November 2022 (long story, not worth bothering you with) however attached is the spec of the vehicle that we ordered. It is now reaching the end of its conversion. I know that some descriptions have changed in the ordering system now but it will give you a clue.
I haven't been back through that list recently but we did add TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) in the end. Those codes are MAN but I think I can find VW ones should you wish.
Since delivery I have added a grab handle to the sliding door side of the B pillar and glove box cooling connected to the aircon box. Both items were sourced from TPS (VW Trade Parts Service) but would probably have been cheaper had I ordered them from MAN.

Thanks Rod, really helpful.
I’m still unsure on the direction to take. I’m considering another Hymer, but realise the costs are eye watering and not sure it really does everything we want.
A conversion is a possibility not a lot cheaper. I’m being quoted £35k ish to convert.

My concern is resale should we want to move from a self/build conversion vs Hymer

Back