Sliding door access grab handle for the less agile.

I’ve decided to take the plunge and have ordered the bits from MAN (thanks for the part numbers!) to fit to my crafter. But the handle didn’t come with the plugs to cover the bolt heads - as they aren’t on the explosion diagram I’m guessing the handle should have? They also had trouble sourcing one of the bolts but I can easily fix a bolt but the covers would finish it off…
The plugs should have been in the packaging with the handle mine were. Go back to your MAN supplier and press them for the missing items.
I had mine from TPS as at that time I didn't have a good contact with a MAN dealer.

As a note, I have not fitted the plugs yet as I think taking them out again would damage them and I don't yet know if I have anything else to run up/down the B pillar.

Thanks for confirming, I thought that might be the case but I can email the parts guy at MAN - they’ve been really helpful so far.
I think you’re right - digging the caps out would damage them I’m sure - they’re designed to stay in after all. So I’ll be very careful before I finally fit them in.
Oh, and should there be two connecting pieces? I only ordered the one in the list?
I’ll be studying your pics thoroughly when I get brave enough to do it 😊 thanks for taking the time to post the guide.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, a cheaper option maybe: a pale grey curved grab handle off ebay (I think mine was from a Nissan), a couple of M6 rivnuts into the B pillar and a slightly tapered block of wood about 200mm long 40x40, to take up the gap between B pillar and the trim. Something like 60mm long M6 cap screws through the handle, trim and wood block into the B pillar. I’ve tried to show some pics of it but the wood block is down in the dark so doesn’t show up. If you’re interested I’ll try with a a torch to show it better. It helps access a lot, especially without a nice slide out step…. And no yellow handle of course!

IMG_2106.jpeg

IMG_2107.jpeg

IMG_2103.jpeg

For what it’s worth, a cheaper option maybe: a pale grey curved grab handle off ebay (I think mine was from a Nissan), a couple of M6 rivnuts into the B pillar and a slightly tapered block of wood about 200mm long 40x40, to take up the gap between B pillar and the trim. Something like 60mm long M6 cap screws through the handle, trim and wood block into the B pillar. I’ve tried to show some pics of it but the wood block is down in the dark so doesn’t show up. If you’re interested I’ll try with a a torch to show it better. It helps access a lot, especially without a nice slide out step…. And no yellow handle of course!

View attachment 790

View attachment 791

View attachment 792
Looks good, from experience of the OEM fitment you may have wished yours was a bit lower but that's personal preference.

What's the origin of the sliding window may I ask please?

Windows were from Camper Glass (ebay item 143441754130). They fill the whole panel with the sleek OEM look. Some days I wish I had gone for proper double glazed top hinged windows with blinds and fly screens built in. I’d have gone as big as possible and covered the panel in matt black to blend them in. At least double the price though.

Windows were from Camper Glass (ebay item 143441754130). They fill the whole panel with the sleek OEM look. Some days I wish I had gone for proper double glazed top hinged windows with blinds and fly screens built in. I’d have gone as big as possible and covered the panel in matt black to blend them in. At least double the price though.
I should have said these windows work really well though. 4 years on and no leaks no wear on the sliders. Catches all working fine. Good quality and they were easy to fit. Just need a couple of vacuum suckers to hold them while you fit them.

We went with factory sliders on the front two window as and had glass fitted the rest of the way down each side. The centre ones are 'fake' having no cut-out in the steel, the rear ones have blinds fitted in the internal panels as do the ones in the rear doors.
After a bit of argy-bargy with the DVLA the graphic (on each side) along with all the other required fittings satisfies them that it is a 'Motor Caravan'. It's now up-plated to 4.2 tonnes and registered as such.

1719923297454.png

Well done! I had two goes at trying to get motor caravan approval a couple of years back but only got ‘van with windows’, despite meeting all their criteria, even when I went overboard with my graphics. I hear things may have improved more recently. Decided not to bother as I’ve not had any problems with ferry bookings (as a camper) and speed limits don’t improve unless the van is rated under 3.2tonnes.

IMG_2147.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_1724.jpeg

Well done! I had two goes at trying to get motor caravan approval a couple of years back but only got ‘van with windows’, despite meeting all their criteria, even when I went overboard with my graphics. I hear things may have improved more recently. Decided not to bother as I’ve not had any problems with ferry bookings (as a camper) and speed limits don’t improve unless the van is rated under 3.2tonnes.

View attachment 794

View attachment 795

View attachment 796
I tried without the graphics originally and was rejected. I then re-submitted with the graphics and was rejected again. The third time I supplied individual pictures of each item on their list annotating the actual picture with those requirements. In the covering letter I instructed the first reader to escalate my request to a senior person if he/she didn't agree with me. It took about 3-4 weeks for the V5C to come back as 'Motor Caravan' but it eventually did.

Back