Sliding door access grab handle for the less agile.

rod_vw

Pro
My TGE was ordered as bulkhead delete so had wrap around plastic trims on the B pillars but no grab handle fitted.

After some searching I discovered that VW/MAN list a nice plastic handle in VW Pearl Grey. These I duly ordered along with associated parts except the screws which I already have in stock.

Parts list is as follows for a left sliding door (VW part numbers not MAN)...
7C0 858 717 Y20 -- Grab handle (Y20 is the colour code)
7C0 867 737C -- Bracket for grab handle left
7C0 857 885C Y20 -- Connecting piece left upper
7C0 858 623C Y20 -- Connecting piece left lower

Parts list is as follows for a right sliding door (VW part numbers not MAN)...
7C0 867 738C -- Bracket for grab handle right
7C0 857 886C Y20 -- Connecting piece right upper
7C0 858 624C Y20 -- Connecting piece right lower

My total cost for the left sliding door parts here in the UK was in the region of £75, horrendous I know but it is a professional OEM item and looks the part.
1673696358643.png
Note that you do need the full wrap around plastic B pillar trims to cover the bracket etc. If you are fitting these after removing the bulkhead to make a nice job you need to change the sliding door rubber seal to enable the new trims to fit into the slot provided on the new seal and of course fit the correct pillar trim parts.

To fit the new handle I marked some datum lines on masking tape stuck to door aperture and plastic trim for measuring purposes should I need them. In the end I didn't need so many.
1673697677764.png
Then with the trim released and pulled away from the pillar I screwed the new bracket to the threaded locations already existing in the pillar.
1673697747339.png
Next as accurately as possible I transferred the location of the handle fixing screw holes on the bracket to the masking tape covered surface of the plastic trim. Definitely a measure twice job!!
1673697887527.png
With the trim refitted to the B pillar I drilled a 13mm hole at the marked locations which revealed the threaded holes in the bracket. I was lucky, one was spot on and the other no more than a millimetre out.

With long (longer than required for the eventual fixing) screws I fitted the handle with its so called connecting pieces to the bracket being careful to fit them in the correct position (upper is different to lower) and with the slight curved edge in line with the edge curve of the pillar trim. Again it's worth double checking!
1673698077860.png
So I now had the handle fitted but spaced off the trim by the connecting pieces. This enables marking of the exact shape of the two large holes required in the pillar trim, this I did with a marker pen on the masking tape.
1673698182665.png
With the handle removed I cut the majority of the hole out with a tank cutter leaving some material to remove. Note that the holes are NOT ROUND so careful work with a Dremel or similar to produce a snug fit for both connecting pieces to sink into the trim. Patience and lots of trial and error will produce a good result, without it you will ruin the pillar trim!
1673698267769.png1673698923207.png

There are plugs supplied with the handle to cover/fill the fixing screw holes but I have declined to fit them until the conversion is complete as the trim may need to be removed during the job and it looks as if removal will damage the plugs.

Now that’s a good idea. I’m agile , but my wife could do with either a leg up/ a kick/ or coax…….but a handle like that will be the way to go.

My TGE was ordered as bulkhead delete so had wrap around plastic trims on the B pillars but no grab handle fitted.

After some searching I discovered that VW/MAN list a nice plastic handle in VW Pearl Grey. These I duly ordered along with associated parts except the screws which I already have in stock.

Parts list is as follows for a left sliding door (VW part numbers not MAN)...
7C0 867 737C -- Bracket for grab handle left
7C0 857 885C Y20 -- Connecting piece left upper
7C0 858 623C Y20 -- Connecting piece left lower

Parts list is as follows for a right sliding door (VW part numbers not MAN)...
7C0 867 738C -- Bracket for grab handle right
7C0 857 886C Y20 -- Connecting piece right upper
7C0 858 624C Y20 -- Connecting piece right lower

My total cost for the left sliding door parts here in the UK was in the region of £75, horrendous I know but it is a professional OEM item and looks the part.
View attachment 231
Note that you do need the full wrap around plastic B pillar trims to cover the bracket etc. If you are fitting these after removing the bulkhead to make a nice job you need to change the sliding door rubber seal to enable the new trims to fit into the slot provided on the new seal and of course fit the correct pillar trim parts.

To fit the new handle I marked some datum lines on masking tape stuck to door aperture and plastic trim for measuring purposes should I need them. In the end I didn't need so many.
View attachment 232
Then with the trim released and pulled away from the pillar I screwed the new bracket to the threaded locations already existing in the pillar.
View attachment 233
Next as accurately as possible I transferred the location of the handle fixing screw holes on the bracket to the masking tape covered surface of the plastic trim. Definitely a measure twice job!!
View attachment 234
With the trim refitted to the B pillar I drilled a 13mm hole at the marked locations which revealed the threaded holes in the bracket. I was lucky, one was spot on and the other no more than a millimetre out.

With long (longer than required for the eventual fixing) screws I fitted the handle with its so called connecting pieces to the bracket being careful to fit them in the correct position (upper is different to lower) and with the slight curved edge in line with the edge curve of the pillar trim. Again it's worth double checking!
View attachment 235
So I now had the handle fitted but spaced off the trim by the connecting pieces. This enables marking of the exact shape of the two large holes required in the pillar trim, this I did with a marker pen on the masking tape.
View attachment 236
With the handle removed I cut the majority of the hole out with a tank cutter leaving some material to remove. Note that the holes are NOT ROUND so careful work with a Dremel or similar to produce a snug fit for both connecting pieces to sink into the trim. Patience and lots of trial and error will produce a good result, without it you will ruin the pillar trim!
View attachment 237View attachment 238

There are plugs supplied with the handle to cover/fill the fixing screw holes but I have declined to fit them until the conversion is complete as the trim may need to be removed during the job and it looks as if removal will damage the plugs.
Where did you get the 'B' pillar trims from - do you know the part codes, I'm needing a set.

Thanks.

Where did you get the 'B' pillar trims from - do you know the part codes, I'm needing a set.

Thanks.
I didn't have obtain any new trims for mine as I ordered my van with seat swivels which automatically deletes the bulkhead and provides all of the correct trims both B pillars and across the roof at the rear of the headliner, also the correct sliding door rubber seal with a slot for the plastic trims.

@Pauly will, I hope, be able to add the part numbers to this thread for all the necessary parts that you have requested. I have various links for part numbers but always advise readers to double check with their supplier before ordering.

@Pauly or other readers. Can we provide MAN equivalent part numbers?

MAN info is limited but i do have access to it, will see what i can do

Ok so did a bit of searching and the results are interesting !

Based on the above info i have searched MAN parts and the equivalent VW parts all based on illustration 857-050

Based on the illustration i have selected parts 22/24/25/26/27 (1 of each)
All prices listed are manufacturers RRP and exclusive of VAT

Firstly the MAN parts list
1674513514328.png

and secondly the VW parts list
1674513540402.png

Thanks @Pauly be aware that there are two different connecting pieces. Upper and lower are different, I found out the hard way!

As in the original posting I didn't bother with the screws as I had plenty in the garage.

PartVW priceMAN price
Screw£1.07£0.70
Screw£0.90£0.60
Handle£34.75£24.20
Bracket£23.74£16.85
Connecting piece£3.56£2.45
The difference in price is interesting, as my MAN workshop is nearer than TPS I must use them when ever I get the chance. It's just a pity there doesn't seem to be MAN parts listing available on the internet unless you know different?

Im not ordering parts was just looking for equivalent MAN part numbers in case anybody wanted them
Interesting to see such a difference between the prices though !!

The b pillars were not so easy to look up, pictures are generic and just lists various parts for left/right and upper/lower so not sure whats what ?

Hi @Pauly try VW parts list illustration/page 867-67 for the trims that go with the 'bulkhead deleted' versions. That shows all the trims right around from bottom of left to bottom of right (I think).

Back