Noise under bonnet when engine off

3655phil

Hi all,
recently picked up my crafter after a two year build wait and when I unlock the van I get a strange noise from under the bonnet(video attached).
I assume it’s a fuel pressure relay or similar preparing the engine to start?

My issue is that when sat outside the unlocked van with the keys out of the ignition the noise continues every three minutes or so until it’s locked again. This went on for three days recently whilst camping in France
Has anyone else come across this issue is it normal?
I have booked it into VW next week for them to have a look but was interested should anyone else have the same issue. The van is only a couple of months old
thanks Phil

Hi Phil

I can’t see a video.

However, my van, a 2022 TGE, makes quite a few whirring and click noises when I unlock the van. IIRC my last van, a 2020 TGE did the same.

However, I haven’t noticed it continuing on like you describe.

Sorry I don’t believe you can add a video or at least I wasn’t able to- I just got back from VW who stated the whirring was the fuel pressure rail and the clunking was the turbo actuator- both are triggered by the key as you approach the vehicle so it’s in a state of readiness when you go to start.
They stated that this will continue whilst the van is unlocked and the key is within range!
My thoughts are to get a faraday key pouch to use whilst sat outside the camper.
They were very helpful and did a complete check with no codes or errors found.
Hope this may assist someone going forwards

No it’s not keyless entry etc
I will report back once I get the faraday pouch and let you know if it makes a difference- I wasn’t going to post this as once you hear the noise you find yourself listening out for it

I have been out to the van and this is what it does;

Approaching the van - does nothing.

1. Unlock - whirring and clicking

2. 3 minutes later (with key by drivers door) - further whirring noise.

3. Approx 6 minutes - a clunk as though something has shut off.

I waited for another 5 minutes and heard nothing.

So, my van is a Westfalia Sven Hedin and I am wondering if something has been reconfigured as the van was supplied by MAN to Westfalia specifically for a camper van?

If I get chance I will try for longer, but seems something may have been changed.

Ok update time:-
Today I bought a £6 faraday pouch from Halfords and I am very pleased to report that after initially opening the van the repeat whirring and clunking has stopped. Thankfully No more noise!IMG_4620.jpeg
I hope this assists anyone searching the fault

That whole saga seems a bit odd……..
Just thinking about it a bit more detail, is there any way that there is some tiny voltage on permanent, that shouldn’t be within the key fob itself. It’s clearly coming from the fob when within range.
You shouldn’t have to use the pouch.
Just puzzled that’s all.

My name is Jacob, I have already experienced a similar situation during my travels. My vehicle had a problem along the way, but luckily there was a garage nearby. So I took it there, and after identifying the problem, the mechanics recommended I use a Traitement Superéthanol. I followed their advice and applied the product, however, I was not completely satisfied as the situation was not resolved yet.

I'm wondering if there is anyone who can help me to solve this problem or simply suggesting me.

Thanks in adavnce for your help.

Back