MAN TGE with a Hillside Leisure conversion called Hopton

Oilyjeans

We are pleased with our 2023 van so far after having some issues after the first time out. The question I would like to know is what type of relay is fitted to charge the AGM battery because I think it is a MAN fitting and not by hillside. Checking the books that came with our van does not have a relay booklet. I have not asked Hillside because they will take forever to get back to me.
Does anyone on here know the answer and where it would be because I would like to change to a lipo4 battery

The crafter and MAN have a smart alternator fitted so it should be fitted with a b2b or battery to battery charger. Looking at a YouTube video your van is fitted with a CBE PC210 system which includes voltage sensitive relay as standard. This should have been bypassed and a b2b installed which may be either near the leisure battery or the rest of the electrics under the drivers side rear bench. You’ll need to check but the b2b may have a switchable option to change the charge profile to lipo4. You would also need to change the mains charger for the leisure battery as theCbE one won’t be suitable for lipo4 batteries but could be retained for charging the vehicle battery

If it's the original factory fitted second battery located under the bonnet (engine battery is in the floor in front of the left front seat) then it is connected to charge by a standard high current relay (J713 located left side of engine bay behind second battery) which is controlled by the Onboard supply control module (J519)

There was an option from the factory to have a second alternator, if you have this the second battery is charged by the second alternator and controlled by a separate module. It's unlikely that you will have this option.

The crafter and MAN have a smart alternator fitted so it should be fitted with a b2b or battery to battery charger. Looking at a YouTube video your van is fitted with a CBE PC210 system which includes voltage sensitive relay as standard. This should have been bypassed and a b2b installed which may be either near the leisure battery or the rest of the electrics under the drivers side rear bench. You’ll need to check but the b2b may have a switchable option to change the charge profile to lipo4. You would also need to change the mains charger for the leisure battery as theCbE one won’t be suitable for lipo4 batteries but could be retained for charging the vehicle battery
From the factory VW/MAN didn't fit any more than a simple split charge relay to connect/charge the second battery.

Hi Airhog,

Thank-you for your info. I will try to find it the btob box and I did think the alternator would be smart. Cheers again

I have this second under bonnet battery on a VW Grand California Crafter, which is indeed charged by a dumb relay. It only charges 80% to comply with Euro 6.
I plan to swap the dumb relay out for Orion xs B2B. I wondered if this massive (50amp) current draw would bring up any faults. Also does anyone know what 8 9 are for. All I know is that one of these is for the rear habitation. I've added the only fuse layout that I can find and a pic of my under bonnet battery.

VWGCwires.jpg

Battery post.JPG
Battery fuses.JPG

Back