2021 Crafter Suspension Upgrades?

Simon Mingay

We are nearing the end of the conversion of a 2021 Crafter (LWB, FWD) to a camper van. The van is going to need rerating to 3.9t . The guys that have done the conversion want to put an air suspension unit on. I am a little wary of air suspension. But alternatives seem a little thin on the ground for the Crafter relative to the Sprinter (not sure if that is because Sprinters are more common as camper vans, or Crafter suspension is better). The options seem to be replacing the current single leaf springs with a double leaf springs, adding a Sumo spring kit, and maybe Bilstein shocks... but the the warning I got on the latter was that they might make the ride less comfortable, particularly at low speed. Any experience or guidance welcome.
Thanks
Simon

Hiya and welcome onboard.

Sorry, I’ve no experience of air suspension but FWIW, I’ve a LWB Crafter and I up-plated it to 3900, it didn’t require any physical alterations, just paperwork.

So if you were changing the suspension just to be able to up-plate the weight from 3500 to 3900 (rather than for comfort/handling needs) it may be unnecessary.

I used SV Tech, but there is another slightly cheaper and also well recommended alternative company,

Van Weight Engineering
LINK

SV Tech
LINK

Hiya and welcome onboard.

Sorry, I’ve no experience of air suspension but FWIW, I’ve a LWB Crafter and I up-plated it to 3900, it didn’t require any physical alterations, just paperwork.

So if you were changing the suspension just to be able to up-plate the weight from 3500 to 3900 (rather than for comfort/handling needs) it may be unnecessary.

I used SV Tech, but there is another slightly cheaper and also well recommended alternative company,

Van Weight Engineering
LINK

SV Tech
LINK
Thanks for the reply.
The upgrade was not related to the up-plating itself (we've used SVTech as well)... but rather specifically for the stability and comfort of driving what is now a much heavier van. It's close to 3.4t, but fully loaded it could be very close to 3.9t. Last thing I want is a van that is wallowing and wobbling, and generally unpleasant to drive.

I've not driven it yet, so it could be a non-issue, but the guys that did the conversion are strongly recommending an upgrade. But as I mentioned I've found lots of options and descriptions for Sprinters... but very little for Crafters.

Konti do a set of "active" shocks for the pre-2017 Crafter (and all Sprinters), but not newer Crafters.

I can do the Leaf springs and the Sumo spring kit option... but not sure on the effectiveness.

Regards

Simon

Why not keep the single leaf spring and add air assist at the rear? With independent pressure on each.
My single leaf started to sag a little and im looking to fit dunlop or similar air bags, but, keep the original spring as it is.

Yes, I have gone full circle on this one. I had air assist suggested to me originally. But I am a little wary of it - not based on any bad personal experience, it's just the opportunity to leak and anecdotal stories of damage caused by running the bags over inflated. The guys that have converted the van were suggesting Boss Bags which they have used before. But looking around, some of the high end Crafter converters seem to have used the VB Air Suspensions solutions (Motorhomes | VB-Airsuspension). They seem a little more expensive, unless you go the whole-hog.... but might potentially be a higher quality solution (with upgrade options should you want to add to it later - like gauges and compressor).
Bottom line... I think I am back to where I started with air assist, nut maybe I'd opt for the VB solution.

To round off my part of this thread... When we got the van back from the conversion it drove surprising well, but did wallow when loaded up, and visually looked a little low at the back. So I decided to go with an air assist upgrade on the rear. There are a few options around, but i decided to go with a VB Air Suspension Basic kit., installed by A&E Leisure in Northwich. Felt good driving it home, but not really given it much of a test yet. A&E put 2 bar in the units and suggested I see how that feels. It has restored some of the height at the rear as you'd expect.

@rod_vw
I was going to message you but couldn't find a link..

Any way..
For what it is worth, the law requires that you put the new ‘plate’ (it’s just a self adhesive sticker) either adjacent to or in a similar place to the old plate.

So …

My old plate is on the drivers B pillar, so I put the new plate in the same place but on the passenger B pillar.

If ever asked about the weight, I might be of a mind to direct them to the most appropriate plate, depending upon who was asking of course!

:ROFLMAO:

To round off my part of this thread... When we got the van back from the conversion it drove surprising well, but did wallow when loaded up, and visually looked a little low at the back. So I decided to go with an air assist upgrade on the rear. There are a few options around, but i decided to go with a VB Air Suspension Basic kit., installed by A&E Leisure in Northwich. Felt good driving it home, but not really given it much of a test yet. A&E put 2 bar in the units and suggested I see how that feels. It has restored some of the height at the rear as you'd expect.
I did the same as you....VB etc.
Had SV Tech up plate it to 4.1t
I run the bags at 2 bar and it feels good .
The only issue is I've fitted self levelling legs and depending on site/pitch I have to release air to drop the rear of van so legs reach the ground!!

Hi,
I know this is an old thread but I need some advice along the same lines as Simon.

I too have a converted 2018 Crafter that is uplated to 3900kgs by SV Tech. As we run at about 3800kgs when fully loaded, I already fitted air suspension to the rear with independent levelling. The van has done about 10,000 kms like this on 17” Kato wheels and Michelin Agilis tyres, over all kinds of roads, including 3K in Morocco.

And everything has been great so far, but Moroccan roads can be tough so I am thinking of some kind of lift and suspension upgrade. There is really very little advice out there for mk2 Crafters and what I really want to know is this:

Do I just go for a shock absorber upgrade and lift kit all round, like the Bilstein B6 kit here:

Or do I go the whole hog and upgrade front and rear leaf springs and shocks all round?
IMG_3194.jpegOr just front leaf spring and shocks all round?

Has anyone done any of the above on a FWD LWB Crafter mk2? Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Andrew

I did the same as you....VB etc.
Had SV Tech up plate it to 4.1t
I run the bags at 2 bar and it feels good .
The only issue is I've fitted self levelling legs and depending on site/pitch I have to release air to drop the rear of van so legs reach the ground!!
Interesting. I have the self-levelling down as a possible future upgrade. I guess a workaround if you felt you needed one would be sliding blocks underneath... Keep me posted on your experience with the self-levelling.

Hi,
I know this is an old thread but I need some advice along the same lines as Simon.

I too have a converted 2018 Crafter that is uplated to 3900kgs by SV Tech. As we run at about 3800kgs when fully loaded, I already fitted air suspension to the rear with independent levelling. The van has done about 10,000 kms like this on 17” Kato wheels and Michelin Agilis tyres, over all kinds of roads, including 3K in Morocco.

And everything has been great so far, but Moroccan roads can be tough so I am thinking of some kind of lift and suspension upgrade. There is really very little advice out there for mk2 Crafters and what I really want to know is this:

Do I just go for a shock absorber upgrade and lift kit all round, like the Bilstein B6 kit here:

Or do I go the whole hog and upgrade front and rear leaf springs and shocks all round?
View attachment 704Or just front leaf spring and shocks all round?

Has anyone done any of the above on a FWD LWB Crafter mk2? Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Andrew
Hello Andrew,
Nothing useful to add from me, other than you've reached the same point I did. As I noted in my original post, lots of options on Sprinters, very few on post-2017 Crafters. I spoke to Rhodes Vans who suggested a heavy duty leaf spring upgrade (£400) and/or Stage One Sumo spring upgrade (£720 + fitting £45). He also talked about a Koni Shock kit, which sounded really interesting - but I think they are only available on the pre-2017 Crafter. I decided against these options in the end, mainly because I couldn't find anyone that had done it (as per your comment), and I was wary of making the ride too harsh.

Morocco sounds fun :)

Regards

Simon

Hello Andrew,
Nothing useful to add from me, other than you've reached the same point I did. As I noted in my original post, lots of options on Sprinters, very few on post-2017 Crafters. I spoke to Rhodes Vans who suggested a heavy duty leaf spring upgrade (£400) and/or Stage One Sumo spring upgrade (£720 + fitting £45). He also talked about a Koni Shock kit, which sounded really interesting - but I think they are only available on the pre-2017 Crafter. I decided against these options in the end, mainly because I couldn't find anyone that had done it (as per your comment), and I was wary of making the ride too harsh.

Morocco sounds fun :)

Regards

Simon
Thank you Simon,
Ok it seems there are only a few options and as I already have air on the back, perhaps all I need is 5 ton rated Bilstein shocks all round and that will sort me out. And Morocco is awesome and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a vantastic adventure ,
Cheers
Andrew

Thank you Simon,
Ok it seems there are only a few options and as I already have air on the back, perhaps all I need is 5 ton rated Bilstein shocks all round and that will sort me out. And Morocco is awesome and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a vantastic adventure ,
Cheers
Andrew
I just tripped over this on Instagram from @unlikely_explorers, who have uprated their MAN TGE to 4230kg:

"Speaking to @vanweightengineering they advised us what we could achieve without any modifications, but we decided to go to the next step up which meant upgrading the suspension and tyres. @kaktus.vans installed the incredible @4x4proyect kit for us plus triple leaf rear spring. The the final piece was replacing our tyres for a higher load rating where @vwt5_upgradesadvised the right size/fit and also supplied and installed them for us"

Thought that was pretty helpful.

Regards

Simon

Back