Towing with a Crafter/TGE

Jack T

Just thought I would share my experiences towing with my Crafter.

I’m running a 177 manual FWD with the factory detachable ball bar. I have the factory camera which is perfect for backing up to hitch up.

I have towed with quite a few vehicles over the years but find the Crafter really good. The torque makes it effortless on long runs with cruise control on particularly. It’s really stable even with close to it’s rated 3ton on. Depending on weight it drops mpg around 5mpg on a average.

The only time you need to be careful is getting away up hill with a decent weight on. FWD is never ideal for this. I wanted RWD ideally but not available to order at the time in the spec I wanted. 4 motion would be ideal but probably overkill for me as 95% of the time I’m not towing.

This is my trailer that I use for work and play sometimes. Load this with 2ton regularly with no issue.

E5BC141C-F260-4BB4-B29A-A6B3A70CB957.jpeg

45C7F2DD-0A39-4B0E-BF2A-4E66AB7F2A0D.jpeg

Needed to pick up another matching works van a while back. Rented an Ifor to get this from Swansea, long trip from York but the van never missed a beat.

B085FEB7-8EA3-417C-B5A8-99C7718DA4AF.jpeg

Even picked up a new caravan the other day for my Dad. Pulled it lovely and the Alko hitch fitted fine on the factory setup.

I love towing and driving bigger stuff too. Show us your pictures of interesting stuff on the back of Crafters/TGE’s here!

I only tow occasionally, and nowt as heavy duty as you Jack, but the Crafter handles it admirably, perhaps too well as it’s far too easy to forget that there’s extra luggage attached to the back 🥴

I had some LED work lights fixed to the rear of the roof, because my experience of VW reversing lights are that they are rubbish. They are also great for loading in the dark as they work independently from the ignition off of a switch on the dash.

These pics were taken before the lower half was painted indium grey.

My GSA on a Motolug collapsible trailer.

60175744-D425-423E-8E3A-557A80B27D91.jpeg452165B3-D66D-4406-9763-C6241BAB1DC8.jpeg
3FAA2F35-D87B-4967-B167-663E748C9C8A.jpeg

going from towing with the T6 to towing with the crafter it is 100% the weight and size of the tow van and the smaller trailer that makes it a joy to use.
Bit underpowered (easily sorted with a remap) and brakes not great when towing but thats probably my driving.
All in all a cracking van to tow with.

thumbnail_IMG_0436.jpg

Good to see the varying ways everyone use their vans. (y)

Completely understand forgetting you are towing, particularly with light loads.

Although we have a towbar on our T6 I have never towed with it just used for a bike rack.

Last edited:
Im interested in fitting a tow hitch for occasional use, how involved is it to fit one when you have rear sensors? Presumably coding is required

Back