Planning Swiss trip

Rustic12

Hi all . Just starting to plan a trip to Switzerland in September . This will be my first time driving abroad so a little nervous. What will be the best route down? Not after the quickest maybe a stop or two. Where are the must see places to visit , any recomendations on campsites ets. Any help very much appreciated

If you are doing Dover/Calais or Le Shuttle, and want to avoid toll roads

Turn left to Dunkirk
Towards Bruge
Ghent
Brussels
Arlon
Thionnville
Nancy
Basel

Don't discount Germany, the Romantic Road route is fabulous

Keep off the motorways in Switzerland, unless you want one of those vignettes.
The road over the mountains via Domodosolla into Italy is not bad, but think there are better ones.
Innsbruck / Chamonix area is pretty. If you get a chance , and it’s a clear day, go up the cable car to Mount Blanc. I recommend in the afternoon is best, and you’ll hardy have to queue. Plenty restaurants near to the lift area too.

Keep off the motorways in Switzerland, unless you want one of those vignettes.
The road over the mountains via Domodosolla into Italy is not bad, but think there are better ones.
Innsbruck / Chamonix area is pretty. If you get a chance , and it’s a clear day, go up the cable car to Mount Blanc. I recommend in the afternoon is best, and you’ll hardy have to queue. Plenty restaurants near to the lift area too.
Thanks Grubscrew. Good advice 👍

If you are doing Dover/Calais or Le Shuttle, and want to avoid toll roads

Turn left to Dunkirk
Towards Bruge
Ghent
Brussels
Arlon
Thionnville
Nancy
Basel

Don't discount Germany, the Romantic Road route is fabulous
Going to do the Romantic road. Pencilled in 3 days. Any recommendations on what to see and where to park up ? Cheers

I don't like to divert members to other forums but there are a lot of folks with knowledge of this type of trip on the Motorhome Fun Forum who may be able to help.

Our preference is to use the Aires down the Eastern side of France using the Search for Sites app, you will find any that I have added a review for using the same name as on this name as on here without the under score.

We are in Hinwil, Switzerland (nr Zurich) right now. Second time for us in this van. It’s on a fabulous free hilltop car park just outside town right beside excellent walks and numerous waterfalls. Locals are very friendly and its very quiet once the bikers have gone home- the roads are fab for motorcycles BTW.

Just some hints.
The park for the night App P4N is really useful, as is Search for Sites.

€40 is the standard price for a vignette, we bought ours at the first petrol station, many places sell them and usually have a board outside advertising the fact. You peel off the back and stick it on tour screen, its not valid until you do that- hence not transferrable.(unless you stick it onto clear ‘peel off’ type tape)

I wasn’t asked if our Crafter was over 3.5, so I didn’t tell them. Even in Austria, same thing, vignette over the counter, no one asked.

The Swiss use Swiss Francs not the Euro. Easy mistake to make. However most bona fide stores, as opposed to tiny cafes etc, will take € but give change in S.francs.

Many parking machines do NOT take cards, and only take franc coins or use their parking App. Parking in most places is buttoned up, so make sure that you have SFranc coins.

I’m using a temporary SIM card as my EE one has naff all data in the EU. I bought a Tesco PAYG with £10 rocket pack. It gives me 25gb and lasts a month can be renewed online and ALL the data can be used aboard unlike most other SIMs.
Coverage is also quite good too.

Lastly, a tip for driving on the wrong side of the road. I wind an elastic band around the wiper stalk, to remind me so that I don’t have to think about which side to drive on, sounds obvious, but the time it comes into its own is starting off on a lazy morning, no traffic around and no road markings..that’s when you are most at risk! DAMHIK

We are away for 6 weeks so the rubber band will probably be moved over when we get back!

A couple of pics from our van today.

View from the end of the car park.

IMG_5740.jpeg

Breakfast view.

IMG_5735.jpeg

Back