Heating water by electric.

Grubscrew

Pro
With a few ways of heating water , whether it be by gas, electric or on the hob ( of which those days are gone), with now the availability of boilers etc.
I decided to use the Propex electric system. That’s a 6 or 10 litre hot water cylinder, with an 800 watt element inside ( like a mini immersion heater) . I installed the 10 litre.
I had my doubts as to its effectiveness. To my surprise, the cold water in the cylinder can heat up from cold ( between 7 *and 15* c ) to 56/57*c in 40 minutes. That’s using the batteries ( 3 x 100amp then via a 2 Kw inverter).
Recovery of the batteries is relatively quick, say 2 hrs on a sunny day, or 4 hours if overcast.
So impressed with that, i will site a second 10 litre Propex, as an extra hot water store, because 10 litres is a tad on the low side.

Propex are easy to put in the van, with just some plumbing. The twin tank system will have a 3 way valve to isolate one tank from the other in case 1 is required. There’s a pressure relief valve on these that go to drain , as the expansion of water is inevitable.

How do you guys heat your water.

I have the propex Malaga 5E , gas and electric. It uses same 800w element, and gas. It can work on gas-electric and both combined. It holds 13l at 70C deg, enough for two showers and some left over. When I’m not at the van, I swich the inverter off, but leave the boiler turned on the electric. Half hr before I get to the van I turn the inverter on via vrm with the phone, so I don’t have to wait for hot water to have a wash.
This saves us a great deal of gas, we have 400ah LiFePo4 and 2kva victron compact inverter.

Back