Gas strut for bonnet

rod_vw

Pro
Replace that bonnet prop with a gas strut? No problem thanks to JR Wagstaffe who posted the info on Facebook and gave me permission to post the procedure, parts list and suppliers info on this forum.

I fitted a new strut to my TGE yesterday in a slightly different manner but the results are the same. Different to JR's procedure I threaded the hinge bracket and fitted a lock nut see lower photo for my method of giving clearance for the nut. I also added a washer between the top ball and the hinge bracket thus not needing to shorten the thread on the ball fitting. I have an aversion to cut metal as it always rusts in the end.

IMG_20240118_130537.jpg
IMG_20240118_130510.jpg

I bent the front wing edge down to clear the top ball fitting lock nut like this treating the cracked paint with cold galvanise paint.

IMG_20240118_124723.jpg

Prices have risen slightly since those quoted in JR's document but with nuts & washers etc. from my own supply it cost me less than £30 although I did cheat with the postage as I wanted some other items that pushed the order over the post free limit.

@Pauly maybe you could put JR's procedure in the downloads area as well please.

Attachments

• Bonnet Gas Strut Mod - How to Guide.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Nice . I have a new man tge coming shortly. Nice add on and will look to do the same. Haven't yet looked at the install but what length of strut did you go for

Back