Diesel Air duct hose installation

Grubscrew

Pro
interestingly the Webasto hose is better made than the one supplied with diesel heater….no surprise there.
Being a relatively delicate item, I’ve seen these flexi tubes deteriorate over a short space of time.

So the longer one I ordered I sealed the outside of it with a type of water based sealer, then as it was going under the van , I insulated the entire tube length with a silver bubble wrap, then wound aluminium tape, which has amazing sticky properties to it, ensuring the wrap stays in place and it’s protected from not only heat but the elements, and acting as a secondary insulator.
Stainless clips to hold under van.
Not the easiest thing to route as the handbrake mechanism needed to be taken into consideration.

Then mount the exhaust with some stainless brackets I made (from flue strapping off a renovation project), and tig a smart looking 90 degree elbow.
This has all taken a long time, but I cannot emphasise enough on the longevity of securing items under vehicles!

61612FCC-F783-4CB1-803B-F9AFF337C7A9.jpeg

124CAF0B-344F-48F0-B1A9-C9E1D46649AC.jpeg

68B55CAA-AF9E-4A2A-9353-AEE9B04C6468.jpeg

EDA374FA-46D6-46E5-AFF8-C32BE163FAEB.jpeg

This is under side of van . I’m awaiting a couple of 90 degree elbows so the duct pipe will sit against the underside of floor as opposed to having to bend the pipe, as usually splits occur on the outer bend in time, plus also it looks neater with proper 90 degree angles.

image.jpg

If the smaller pipe in this picture is the ingoing air for the combustion may I ask why it seems to go into the van interior?

image-jpg.276

Oh no that is a heat wrap tape wound around ducting which protects the electric 12 volt cable to the pump…( but 150mms away ) I thought it prudent to reduce the heat effect from the catalytic converter being directly above.
You don’t really think I’d put the air intake in the cabin.?

Last edited:
I’ll do another picture of the air intake for you tomorrow to show its position, which is well up under the chassis

Oh no that is a heat wrap tape wound around ducting which protects the electric 12 volt cable to the pump…( but 150mms away ) I thought it prudent to reduce the heat effect from the catalytic converter being directly above.

No I didn't but it did look like a tube.

From experience of fitting Eberspachers under T5 & T6 I don't find too much heat in the area around the heater except for near the exhaust pipe. I have always pointed the exhaust towards the centre of the vehicle like VW do with the OEM fitment.

So the exhaust from the heater goes just behind the drivers door , secured under the sill exiting away from the vehicle.

The more I think about the positioning of the heater the more it makes sense. Cabin space is always “ premium real estate”, and having plenty of useful nooks and crannies under the van, tucked between chassis rails there’s lots of space free.
Not only that, if the heater was to malfunction, I’d rather it were outside. With only a 7 minute removal time due to its accessibility, it makes sense…..well to me it does!😂😂

Back