Anyone know what this is for?

I’m hoping to stick a solar panel up on the roof this year and wanted to find a way to route the cables in. Ideally without drilling new holes in the roof as I have almost no access to the internal routing as it’s already been converted. I noticed this ‘bung’ just in front of the top brake light and wondered if anyone has had a go at removing it or utilised it at all? I think I might be able to access it by taking out the internal light out (the factory one that comes on when the door opens) and can see in the space below where the light fits. But hoped someone might have already tried it :) Otherwise I’ll have to find another way to bring the solar cables in. (Alternative ideas welcome! I might have to end up using a folding panel if not but still need to get cables into the back of the van to the battery)

552E4B53-E996-4ECD-B36D-15B0F4D41865.jpeg

It looks like a pretty standard VW grommet so as long as you can access it underneath then dont see a problem using it

If you pop it out you should be able to measure the hole and order a waterproof cable gland the correct size for the hole and cable your using

I’m hoping to stick a solar panel up on the roof this year and wanted to find a way to route the cables in. Ideally without drilling new holes in the roof as I have almost no access to the internal routing as it’s already been converted. I noticed this ‘bung’ just in front of the top brake light and wondered if anyone has had a go at removing it or utilised it at all? I think I might be able to access it by taking out the internal light out (the factory one that comes on when the door opens) and can see in the space below where the light fits. But hoped someone might have already tried it :) Otherwise I’ll have to find another way to bring the solar cables in. (Alternative ideas welcome! I might have to end up using a folding panel if not but still need to get cables into the back of the van to the battery)

View attachment 351
Is this above the high level brake light, if yes, may be for the factory fit reversing camera?

Tony

It looks different to the bungs used for the roof rails I thought so wondered if it needed more than a heat up and screwdriver for removal. Once I find out if I can access it inside for certain I’ll try and take pics when I remove it.

I always thought it was for adding beacons. I have the factory camera and it doesn’t use that bung.

You can see the bung easily on the inside on my panel van. Can take a picture if needed just let me know. (y)

Ah, a beacon would make sense - given it's location. If you are able to take a picture that would be great - I had another rummage yesterday and I'm now thinking that the hole it would create would not be in that void that the rear top light goes into, but into the main body of the van roof. The headlining fitted stops me gaining access to the bit forward of that void (where the internal light goes into), so it might be that I can't use it after all and have to drill a new hole which I was hoping to avoid. So a pic would be very much appreciated! Thanks :)

Brilliant - thanks for that. Glad I didn't remove it!!! That's not where I'd hoped it came out, but thought it probably did. I'll have to remove the light and drill a hole into the top of that channel the light goes into then. My headlining covers all that and I've no access (or idea on how it's held up there!!!) I don't suppose I could bother you for a pic of the drivers side rear pillar - so I can see where any holes are, so from your pic, to the left and down? I'm going to have to cut through the carpet lining in the boot to get the solar cables through once I've convinced them to go down that side :) to bring them into the garage.

Those are really handy - thanks! It proves there aren't any holes that side of things, but I imagine your racking must attach to something on that inner side. My side is all carpeted, but I figure I can poke a pin through to establish if there's anything behind the bits that seem 'hollow'. (y)

Back