2019 crafter daua 2.0 - egr insufficient flow issue

Myzeneye

Hi folks,
I bought a crafter last week but it has an issue….
I’m trying to understand what is going wrong but I need some help.
I have a copy of vcds but if I’m honest I’m a little out of my depth with it and need some guidance.
Yes, I should take it to a garage, but right now I’m out of cash.

I got a basic obd scanner, it first threw up a po40100 code- insufficient egr flow , I cleared the code and the lights went out.
I drove it and it drove fine , smooth engine, all normal, felt like turbo was kicking in , but as soon as I went over about 2.5k rpm it throws its hand in and goes back to limp mode, engin man light and pig tail flashing,

Clear the codes, Same again. But now the po40100 insufficient egr flow code isn’t there, instead I’ve now got po299- under boost. Boost control pressure not met.

It starts ok, it ticks over ok. But it reeks to high heaven of over fueling or exhaust fume.
Real bad.

So, given the initial egr related code, I stripped the egr valve off, expecting to find it clogged.
It wasn’t, infact it was surprisingly clean. It certainly didn’t feel right that the egr was the issue, so I put it back in the cooler and refitted it.
I tested the egr solenoid and can see it motoring fine. I happy that it opens and closes, seats correctly and is not blocked.

Ive then looked carefully for vacuum leaks, I can’t see or hear anything.

I then got a lead and installed a copy of vcds.
Cleared codes, ran the van until fault appeared at 2.5k rpm, and re read codes. Again I got po299.

With the stink of the van I’m certain it over fueling itself .
I’ don’t know enough of the technicalities of vcds to test the n75 or Maf or map sensors…

I’ve ordered a map sensor to try as they are cheap, but I can’t even find where it’s located ;)
Where is it?

I went to try the n75 valve and it looks like there are two ? Which confused me even more ….

Finally, tonight I tried to blow smoke up the inlet hose to see if I could spy any leak anywhere, but the smoke I was pumping in the air didn’t want to flow in, like I had a blockage ……should that happen or would that indicate something is wrong with the turbo? Something stuck shut ?

Guys, I know I’m out of my depth, but I’m just trying to learn more and see if anything obvious shows it self…..
any advice is welcomed

Could you please post
(1) - full VCDS Auto-Scan​
(2) - engine's blockmap data - engine ticking over​

VCDS > Applications > Controller Channel Map >
1718990485578.png
Tick/fill boxes as above and hit Go.
VCDS flashes screens for a moment (when finished hit "Done, Go Back") and there should be file blockmap-01-... in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\....
It starts ok, it ticks over ok. But it reeks to high heaven of over fueling or exhaust fume.
At what RPM it ticks over? 830 RPM would be the normal. If it's running at almost 1000 RPM then the engine is doing DPF regeneration which usually gives some odd smell as the exhaust itself and exhaust gases are very hot.

The blockmap data would give a good inside view into engine's doings.

P0299 - Boost Pressure Regulation - Control Range Not Reached

Firstly air leaks need to be ruled out - under load at 2500 RPM there is quite a good pressure (almost 3 bars) in the airways after the turbo. Also the pipes from/to EGR cooler need to be checked.

I went to try the n75 valve and it looks like there are two ? Which confused me even more ….
I would guess the other same looking one is "Intake manifold flap air flow control valve - N316"

I’ve ordered a map sensor to try as they are cheap, but I can’t even find where it’s located ;)
What is the map sensor? Charge pressure sensor in intake manifold?

I’ don’t know enough of the technicalities of vcds to test the n75 or Maf or map sensors…
The engine has quite a few built-in diagnostic routines which can be run by VCDS. Most of them are found under "Basic Settings" and some under "Output Tests".

However, most of the "tests" just run the engine in a predeterminate way and it's up to the user set up suitable measurements and analyse the data.

Thanks for your reply mmi, it’s appreciated.

I will try and get block maps downloaded tomorrow.

Tick over was normal 850rpm ish.
The smell was like over fuelling?

Egr looks fairly clean inside, I expected to find spot and bloackage but it was fairly clear, deffo not blocked. If anything, it was a little oily like tar.
The inlet
And outlet hoses were clear.

I changed the map sensor tonight, it’s the sensor that is located into the inlet manifold.
It also was caked in oily tar?

I put the new one in and cleared codes.
It ticked over without the stink and seemed to have sorted the smell out.

Ok at sedate sun 2.5k rpm driving, nonissue drove very smoothly.
Went up a hill and put it unfer
Load and the glow plug light came on again, limp mode.

I pulled over and turned it off and on again, it self cleared the fault and drove normally again.

This time , instead of driving sedately , I cained it. No fault. Drove perfect.
I head along the expressway letting it Rev high, no issue.

I drive for a few miles like this and thought it has cured itself!
Pulled over, sat for a minute, then head off again.
This time driving normally . As soon as I coasted it went into fault again.

Read the codes … po299 underboost, and po401 egr insufficient flow.
Is with ign off, and on again. Self cleared dash lights. Drove normally again.
I drove home gently and the fault stayed off.

So…. It seems to be when I coast or back off acceleration.
I also would say I’m getting oily tar in my egr, in my intake manifold as it shows on map sensor…..

I think it could be turbo failure? Allthough when not in fault the turbo is working. And if I drive hard it also works…… it’s when I back off or put engine under load without high rpm …..

I would suspect the boost solenoid but the oily tar can only really come from the turbo I guess?

I did buy a vacuum pump/gauge today , I tested the waste gate actuator and it held vacuum ….

I’m trying my best but I don’t quite have enough knowledge :(

Reactions: mmi
I believe there are actually two separate issues: (1) EGR insufficient flow and (2) underboost.

P0401​

Egr looks fairly clean inside, I expected to find spot and bloackage but it was fairly clear, deffo not blocked. If anything, it was a little oily like tar.
The inlet
And outlet hoses were clear.
Most likely it's the EGR cooler which is clogged. What's the mileage of the van? I have no data of this specific engine but on Transporters (very similar engine structure) 50000 miles/EGR cooler would be a good result.

Anyways, on this engine you should be able to run engine's built-in diagnostic test to get an idea. See in the link below
I'm more than happy to make the plots.

P0299​

I think it could be turbo failure? Allthough when not in fault the turbo is working. And if I drive hard it also works…… it’s when I back off or put engine under load without high rpm …..

I would suspect the boost solenoid but the oily tar can only really come from the turbo I guess?
Yes, certainly the turbo could be the issue. Sticky vanes, or just the actuator... difficult to say about the oily stuff without seeing & feeling... of course there is some oily stuff around thanks to crankcase breathing, etc.

Using VCDS you could monitor boost pressure build-up. E.g. recording & comparing the following (VCDS > Engine > Advanced Measurent Values)
  • Engine RPM
  • Boost pressure demand
  • Intake manifold pressure: act. value calculated
  • Turbine actuator 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Specified value
  • Turbine actuator 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value

About the blockmap data - there is plenty of captured status information, e.g. the data items below about the turbo status. On a good engine most of these seem to stay inactive. Unfortunately VW has not published what to expect and how to interpret the values - so just need to try look for any possible differences between known good data and engine under investigation.

1719123813385.png

I tested the n75 valve with a valve gauge ,
It seems to be acting a little funny…

Turn on engine and it the vac line from the n75 to the turbo actuator pulls a vaccum and holds of 20 at tick over.
I Rev the engine and the vac drops off on the gauge but then jumps right back and jitters to stop at around about 18.

If I Rev and hold the Rev the needle on the guage jitters about all over the place up and down , when I ease the Rev off it comes back to 20….

Should it be jittering around like this when under load or just dropping right off untill the revs roll off and then the gauge return straight back to vac at 20?

It doesn’t seem
Right jittering around, it’s like it’s dumping its load but through a blockage that can’t let it vent off…. ? Would that be info it’s ive if the n75 valve not opening properly or of the waste gate not opening properly ?

I replaced the n75 valve. I did think it had solved it, but nope po299 is still coming up.

I drive the van gently it’s ok, I drive it hard and it’s also ok, but when I coast at say 65mph it brings the flashing coil light on again, po299.

I have got another code, po64c, which says it’s the glow plug control module…..
I’m going to test resistance if the glow plugs as I think it’s possible that someone had done a forced Regen of the dpf and maybe cooked the glow plugs.
From what I read, a forced Regen is hard going and will a) cook your engine oil (so it should be changed after Regen) and b) it can cook the glow plugs.
I’ve read that under Regen (which I think it’s trying to do frequently) it injects more fuel and glows the glow plugs red hot ……

So what may have started as a dpf, egr related emissions fault, has maybe cooked the glow
Plugs and not doing Regen properly and so possible blockage in dpf which is ok at sedate driving and ok with hard driving but when coasting just not allowing the exhaust out well enough…..

I have vcds but I don’t have enough knowledge of how to use it properly enough to read dpf bloackages etc

I have got another code, po64c, which says it’s the glow plug control module…..
Please post a complete VCDS Auto-Scan - there are quite a lot more details.

I’m going to test resistance if the glow plugs
I'd say it's just waste of time. The glow plugs are monitored by ECU and would throw a fault if any of them were faulty.

I think it’s possible that someone had done a forced Regen of the dpf and maybe cooked the glow plugs.
From what I read, a forced Regen is hard going and will a) cook your engine oil (so it should be changed after Regen) and b) it can cook the glow plugs.
Surely not - neither a) nor b).

under Regen (which I think it’s trying to do frequently) it injects more fuel and glows the glow plugs red hot ……
Well, yes indeed the engine injects more fuel but it does it when exhaust valves are already open(ing) thus the fuel doesn't combust in the cylinders. The vaporized fuel will combust a bit later in oxidising catalytic converter raising exhaust gas temperature for the DPF to burn off accumulated soot in there.

For exhaust pipework details check page 20 here

And, no engine's combustion process won't turn glow plugs red hot - piston's will melt way before ;)

I have vcds but I don’t have enough knowledge of how to use it properly enough to read dpf bloackages etc
Let's start by looking into engine's blockmap data - see post #2.

Back