VCDS Faulty (Chinese) Ross-Tech interface?

ColinK

I bought a USB cable from AliExpress that came with VCDS.

Computer not connected to internet since before first use, so no link to Ross-Tech

Worked OK 1st time

On second and third use I get “interface not found”. See images

The LED lights up when plugged in.
Windows device manager says all is OK.

Are there any other possible causes of failure other than a faulty cable?

20240903_090345_Original.jpeg

20240903_090539_Original.jpeg

Windows device manager says all is OK.
Windows USB driver obviously communicates with the interface - so I'd say nothing wrong with the cable. However, the VCDS software obviously had on first run detected something suspicious and refuses to co-operate.
Of course you could try to uninstall the VCDS software and reinstall to see if it works - even once.
Also worth noting that now even using a genuine cable most likely will have some undesired consequences.

Sorry mate but those of us that pay the full retail price for Ross-Tech VCDS contribute to the constant updating of the software and lifetime support from Ross-Tech. Buying a cheap Chinese knock-off and expecting support is not the way to go.
Just to give you a clue as to what you can save, the basic limited VIN version of VCDS will cost you less than three hours labour in a VAG dealer's workshop or perhaps a day in an independent one. Not to mention the support that you can get from the likes of MMI and Robert on these forums.

Also the cable manifests itself as an old cable - HEX-USB - was in production over 20 years ago.
1725609926743.png

Last edited:
Back