Poor brake performance and spongy brakes

Sean Matthews

Good morning everyone,

I have a Crafter CR35 2.0 C/R LWB panel van (MK1 facelift 2012-2017 model) and since I acquired it, the brakes have been rubbish!

I stripped them and found pads 70% worn front and rear and one seized caliper slider, so I replaced the pads with genuine replacements and changed the sliders on all 4 calipers.

I did the usual bedding in but the pedal is still rubbish.

I bled the brakes using the pump and squirt method (I've actually done this twice now) and there were no leaks that I could see.

The pedal has come up a bit but they still feel spongy, unresponsive and as if they would not perform an emergency stop effectively if needed.

Does anyone else feel that the brakes are simply poor in these vehicles and therefore I'll just have to get used to them? Or would you have any other suggestions?

Cheers all.

Have you checked the rest of the system. What condition are the flexible hoses in?

Sorry, I’m no help, but it doesn’t sound correct, should never be spongy or unresponsive.

So... I've checked all 4 brake hoses with the pedal pressed both with and without the engine running - nothing unusual. I've had all 4 wheels off again and checked for leaks with the pedal pressed - no leaks. I've bought a Sealey pressure bleeder and bled all 4 again at 2 bar. It's improved it slightly again but still feels dead and spongy. I'm wondering if there may be air in the ABS valve block but there is no way of activating it through VCDS; presumably this is one of the many Merc parts on this vehicle? Any other ideas? Thanks for your suggestions so far by the way. :)

So... I've checked all 4 brake hoses with the pedal pressed both with and without the engine running - nothing unusual. I've had all 4 wheels off again and checked for leaks with the pedal pressed - no leaks. I've bought a Sealey pressure bleeder and bled all 4 again at 2 bar. It's improved it slightly again but still feels dead and spongy. I'm wondering if there may be air in the ABS valve block but there is no way of activating it through VCDS; presumably this is one of the many Merc parts on this vehicle? Any other ideas? Thanks for your suggestions so far by the way. :)
Brake servo, or servo hose leak ?.

Back