P0471 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor (A) Circuit Range / Performance

Harrywilliams

I’ve had the engine warning light show up a few times. Put it down to the fact the turbo intake pipe seal was split and the pipe was hanging off. Have temporarily glued back together the seal whilst I await a replacement and refitted. Cleared the code and then after a few drives the warning light came back with the same code. Checked the turbo intake is still fitted after the temporary fix (it was) and still having the same fault code.

Have done a few checks of the terminals on the pressure sensor and the pipes that are connected as per another forum, and it all seems in good working order?

Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone have any other ideas/can point me in the right direction as to what could be the issue?

I’m not a mechanic so if you need more information I can try my best to give it!

Thanks, Harry

What's the exact engine code - something like DASB, DAUA, DAVA, DMZB, DMZB, etc.
How many miles, what year?
Have done a few checks of the terminals on the pressure sensor and the pipes that are connected as per another forum
Please post a link to the another forum?
What's exactly the sensor - where? Clogged/split/reversed pipes?

What's the exact engine code - something like DASB, DAUA, DAVA, DMZB, DMZB, etc.
How many miles, what year?

Please post a link to the another forum?
What's exactly the sensor - where? Clogged/split/reversed pipes?
I’ve only got a cheap reader at the moment so only shows ‘P0417’. 260,000km 2008.

This was the link I found whilst I’m trying to diagnose the issue but it hasn’t got me very far: Code P0471 Exhaust Pressure Sensor Range/Performance

Below image is the sensor we checked. Have also spent some time today cleaning out the soot from EGR (there wasn’t much at all compared to some other videos I’ve been seeing).

IMG_9462.jpeg

I’ve only got a cheap reader at the moment so only shows ‘P0417’. 260,000km 2008.

This was the link I found whilst I’m trying to diagnose the issue but it hasn’t got me very far: Code P0471 Exhaust Pressure Sensor Range/Performance

Below image is the sensor we checked. Have also spent some time today cleaning out the soot from EGR (there wasn’t much at all compared to some other videos I’ve been seeing).

View attachment 737
Have since realised that this is the DPF sensor, planning on locating the Exhaust pressure sensor now and do same diagnostic (checking terminals etc). Will update if I make any other discoveries…

P0471 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 - Implausible Signal
Somehow the sensor output is not what the ECU expects to see - based on e.g. intake air mass flow. Basically could be the sensor itself has failed, leaking/clogged pipes.

Have since realised that this is the DPF sensor, planning on locating the Exhaust pressure sensor now and do same diagnostic (checking terminals etc). Will update if I make any other discoveries…
Correct, it's the sensor measuring pressure across the DPF.

I'm afraid you can't find any other exhaust pressure sensor on 2008 Crafter. What's the engine code - possibly BJJ, BJK, BJL, or BJM - it is a 2.5 litre engine?? - should be on sticker in service booklet or on a configuration sticker (possibly under dash).

Yeah it’s 2.5L 80kw.

The reader I’ve got is only cheap so doesn’t give any other details. I am looking into getting one that can read all the live data, but struggling to find one that doesn’t cost a fortune…

Could it be that the temporarily repaired seal is causing the issue? If it’s allowing even the smallest amount of air to escape, could this bring up the P0471 code? If that is possible, it might be sensible to wait until I’ve replaced the seal before wasting your time.

I have attached pictures below of the state it was found in. As mentioned before it’s since been glued back together and secured onto the intake.

11558315_Crafter 2.jpeg

11558314_Crafter 1.jpeg

Could it be that the temporarily repaired seal is causing the issue? If it’s allowing even the smallest amount of air to escape, could this bring up the P0471 code?
I'd guess a small leak wouldn't trigger the fault.
Have you cleared the fault? How long it takes for the fault to resurface?

I am looking into getting one that can read all the live data, but struggling to find one that doesn’t cost a fortune…
Would VCDS HEX-V2 (3 VIN) = AU$410 be too much? Crafters before MY17 are a bit challenge diagnosticwise as they have both VW and Merc components. However, engines are VW based so VCDS should work fairly well.

Last edited:
I'd guess a small leak wouldn't trigger the fault.
Have you cleared the fault? How long it takes for the fault to resurface?

Would VCDS HEX-V2 (3 VIN) = AU$410 be too much? Crafters before MY17 are a bit challenge diagnosticwise as they have both VW and Merc components. However, engines are VW based so VCDS should work fairly well.

After clearing the code it will usually pop back up after a couple of turnovers (with journeys in between). So far it hasn’t come on whilst driving but rather the light will stay on once turned over.

Ideally I’d spend a little less as I’d only be getting it with the intention of diagnosing and repairing myself to save money on garage costs!

I’ve been looking at this one, and it seems to have a specific crafter selection: VW & Audi OBD2 Scan Tool Full System

Any thoughts on that one?

Reactions: mmi
After clearing the code it will usually pop back up after a couple of turnovers (with journeys in between).
I think the behaviour is because of a couple of driving cycles are needed to confirm the fault still exists.

I’d only be getting it with the intention of diagnosing and repairing myself to save money on garage costs!
Well, I'm inclined towards spending money for the most capable tools to make correct diagnosis - otherwise chances are to spend money on part replacements for nothing.

I have to admit that the VCDS is a bit clumsy because it needs a Windows laptop. But then having a laptop with Excel spreadsheet actually unleashes VCDS diagnostic capabilities fully. The combination has shown it's power quite a few times - when there are no fault codes to even give a direction to start fault hunt.

Below a couple of tricky cases which were eventually resolved with help of VCDS with minimal expenditure on parts - on another Forum - sorry.

Then just for fun - and for future reference for Transporters

I’ve been looking at this one, and it seems to have a specific crafter selection: VW & Audi OBD2 Scan Tool Full System
Not familiar with that one. There seems to be a data streaming functionality but no mention if the data can be captured for further evaluation.

Anyways, at the end the diagnosis is dependant on what data has been made available by (engine) controller and it's sensors.

I think the behaviour is because of a couple of driving cycles are needed to confirm the fault still exists.

Well, I'm inclined towards spending money for the most capable tools to make correct diagnosis - otherwise chances are to spend money on part replacements for nothing.

I have to admit that the VCDS is a bit clumsy because it needs a Windows laptop. But then having a laptop with Excel spreadsheet actually unleashes VCDS diagnostic capabilities fully. The combination has shown it's power quite a few times - when there are no fault codes to even give a direction to start fault hunt.

Below a couple of tricky cases which were eventually resolved with help of VCDS with minimal expenditure on parts - on another Forum - sorry.

Then just for fun - and for future reference for Transporters

Not familiar with that one. There seems to be a data streaming functionality but no mention if the data can be captured for further evaluation.

Anyways, at the end the diagnosis is dependant on what data has been made available by (engine) controller and its sensors.
Hi again,

I have replaced the turbo intake seal but still got the issue, so that’s ruled out.

I have purchased a scanner which doesn’t give a huge amount of data but it has shown another manufacturer code: P2BAC. Possibly related?

This is the data it gives:
Air Flow Rate from Mass Air Flow sensor: 9.13g/s
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure: 101.0kPa
Equivalence Ratio (lambda) (B1-S1): 0.305
Oxygen Sensor Voltage (B1-S1): 2.053V
Fuel Rail Pressure: 29,000kPa

P2BAC
Possible Cause:
1. Faulty NOx Sensors
2. NOx Sensors harness is open or shorted
3. NOX Sensors circuit poor electrical connection

P0471
Possible Cause:
1. Faulty Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor
2. Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted

Going to try and check those possible causes myself. I know it’s not a huge amount of data but of what it’s given, does anything look wrong to you?

260,000km 2008.
Yeah it’s 2.5L 80kw.
Now confused here - the above suggests the engine code is BJJ - which doesn't have AdBlue system.
What's the 10th digit on your VIN - for a 2008 model it should be WV1ZZZ2EZ8...
(2009 = 9, 2010 = A)

Asking because the fault P2BAC would be very strange on a non-AdBlue engine (=without NOx sensor)???

An AdBlue variant of 80 kW 5-cylinder 2.5L engine (code CEBB) wasn't available before April-2009

Anyways, below a couple of threads related to P2BAC on Crafters ModelYear_10, MY11 - however, without resolution.

Last edited:
Back