Oldrat’s “Grand” Crafter

Oldrat

Pro
Trying to find a superhigh Indium Grey LWB Crafter was like trying to find a unicorn, and Superhigh roof vans are unusual enough let alone one with the Business pack, so when a pure white superhigh roof crafter demonstrator came up at VW Cheltenham, I jumped at it, but then started to ponder what I’d do to make it look less like a builders van.

Not being a fan of the swamper look, I decided to go down the two tone paint route, now which colour? I’ve long admired the pastel shades found on the California T6 range, but when I saw them photoshopped onto a Crafter, there was just too much dark grey plastic showing, and painting all that was going to look too garish.

I chose Indium grey under the white top as the plastic bump panels almost disappear into the grey. Hmm, very neat IMHO.

Now some wheels. I was lucky enough to find some brand new 17” VW Lismore wheels, correct rated as they are fitted to the 680 Grand Crafter, which happens to look very similar.

Hence I present Oldrat’s “Grand” Crafter

8283AF44-EF1B-473E-B06B-092303B9249C.jpeg
8B9C94A1-6E70-4CCD-B7AC-30FA8ED77D58.jpeg

More about the actual build to follow.

Last edited:
Looks great, we're still pondering a two tone job on the Reflex Silver TGE but no decision yet!

Have you had any problems with the step grounding? Currently we are considering it as a no but could be convinced differently. And certainly no swamper look for ours either, we are too old for things like that!

Hi Rod
We are on our second step. The first one was badly damaged going over a sharply humped level crossing!

Yes, it is very easy to scrape. I take it very carefully over humps and bumps!

Before deciding to go down the bespoke build route we carefully looked at the VW Grand California. But we quickly discounted it.

Yep, it’s lovely, but we only needed two driving seats, and we wanted much more flexibility from our van.

So after much research we approached Richard at Rhales conversions, just outside of Peterborough.
We’d already been impressed with the quality of his work and so we set about a design.

Lots of space please, we want to spend extended trips off grid in the van a race style van is out.

We also wanted to carry a payload should we chose- mainly a motorcycle.
I’d had enough of spending ages prepping a bike for a show, only to have it get grubby trailering it there- and we don’t have the space for a large box trailer.

We settled on two longitudinal beds, one over each rear wheel arch. These can be two singles, pulled together as one huge king size, or just one wide single.

One side has all the heating and batteries etc, the other is pure storage and is also fully removable. With several Unwin lashing rails hidden from view, it’s a great load lugger when you need.

CCA6DD8E-8350-4EBB-8BAE-709F08316DC2.jpeg831924C7-904A-482A-9FA7-86CA8E939D24.jpeg2C409F8E-D98D-40B9-9100-AB1480ABE99C.jpeg174F3E82-9265-4F78-823F-8CF0362026D3.jpeg1B1B9AFE-B7A3-4D17-8128-4D07E41BBF27.jpegB158BBE9-CE11-4CA7-B66E-E7BCA4ED9AF4.jpegF68E1B36-66AB-42B5-AB0C-F0C13F1653A7.jpeg

What’s going on with that tambour door under the worktop you might ask…

Well, the bed is almost 2m long and my bikes are just a smidgeon longer.

By putting removable bins (waste and recycling) under the cutlery drawer and using a Tambour door, I easily can free up those extra few inches.

With a webbing chock and several straps, the bike doesn’t go anywhere.

I’m chuffed at how well it works out.

B8C75CBD-6375-45FA-AED8-F2D30E13F74A.jpeg

Now weight… 😕

The thing that a lot is builds ignore until it’s far too late.

Set up as a motor caravan, the total weight of my van is 3,600 kgs.

With the bed replaced by a motorcycle it weighs up to 3,800 depending on which bike.

I already understood that before the build was finished, so I’d always planned on up-plating it.

I used a company called SV tech to do so and it now has a revenue weight of 3.900kgs and is taxed as a Private HGV.

This gives me a VEL (road tax) saving of over £100 PA. But does mean that you need to be an old fart to drive it or if you get have category C1 - over 3500kgs

Now as far as speed limits are concerned… (this is a condensed version)

If your conversion has an unladen weight of under 3,05 tonnes, then IF it complies with the DVLA guidance (ie fully fitted with fixed bed/cooking etc) then normal car speed limits apply - see SPEED LIMITS

If it doesn’t comply or weighs over 3,05 tonnes unladen, then it’s 10 mph less in national speed limits-

Info here
Definition of a motor caravan

What if the DVLA refuse to class it as a motor caravan but as a van with windows? As happened to me.

Firstly tough, they rarely change their kind, but actually it doesn’t matter too much.

Why, well as long as it has all the proper equipment and complies with the DVLA requirements then it actually IS a motor caravan - but it’s just not shown as such on the DVLA register. Now why is that not important…

THE DVLA CLASSIFICATION HAS NO BEARING ON THE VAN’S SPEED LIMIT.

So it doesn’t matter what the DVLA call it.

I attach a letter from the DVLA stating just that. Don’t forget this only applies if your van weighs less than 3,005 kgs UNLADEN

What’s unladen weight mean?

3364B3E7-BD49-43FA-863D-E00EF3D42418.jpeg

Last edited:
The best thing to keep under your sun visor…

I forgot to mention that whilst you might have “right on your side” in respect of benefitting from car speed limits (if, of course, you have all the equipment and are under 3.05tonnes)- you might have the odd problem with law enforcement.

1. So that a speed enforcement camera can determine the most applicable speed limit for your type of vehicle, automatic cameras link in with …… yes you’ve guessed it- the DVLA database.
They shouldn’t and they know that they shouldn’t, but they don’t have anything better.

2. Not all police officers (there are now very very few experienced traffic cops about) will be technically proficient to know the issues with the DVLA classifications and rarely you might come across one.

In both cases, in response to a summons, if you send proof (pics) of your conversion to show that it complies with the definition of a Motor Caravan along with a copy of the letter above, then it should be droppped like a hot potato.

Suggestion:-
Print the letter off and pop it under your sun visor.

Best of luck.

Hi Rod
We are on our second step. The first one was badly damaged going over a sharply humped level crossing!

Yes, it is very easy to scrape. I take it very carefully over humps and bumps!
I guess we will resort to a caravan type step (sorry for the 'c' word).

Just filled in docs for SVTech....waiting for V5 back from DVLA...(all working from home...ha ha!)
Thanks for all above Oldrat....v informative.

Back