How much is too much?

Danny R

I'm heading off to Ukraine on an aid trip with my 2014 VW Crafter LWB. I absolutely rammed it full of wheelchairs, zimmers, crutches, blankets, and about 50 large boxes of medical supplies. It's my 3rd trip but first in this van which is now overloaded. I'm sitting on a gross weight of just over 3800 kg. How much weight is too much weight? I am reluctant to remove anything but I need to know how much I can get away with, should I just put a bit more air in the tires and craic on?

Danny

I can’t offer much help on being overloaded.

But, a big pat on the back for you. I have Ukrainian friends, some of whom are still in Ukraine.

Many people have forgotten how hard life is for those that still live there. Many have lost relatives, friends, homes and businesses. It is truly awful.

A friend I was messaging this morning is travelling to Kyiv today to see her family, I have my fingers crossed for her.

You have a number of problems, You are liable for over weight penalties in the UK at least which would involve removal of items to bring the weight down and probably a fine and you must have C1 on your license. I don't think you can have a commercial vehicle over 3500kg without a speed limiter and if commercially used it may need a tachograph. Very different if it is registered as a Motor Caravan as you can get it re-plated up to the total of the two axle weights but I don't think you can use a motor caravan carrying commercial goods. For all the details speak to Dee at Van Weight Engineering.

Have you thought of taking part of the load on a trailer that way avoiding overloading the van?

You have a number of problems, You are liable for over weight penalties in the UK at least which would involve removal of items to bring the weight down and probably a fine and you must have C1 on your license. I don't think you can have a commercial vehicle over 3500kg without a speed limiter and if commercially used it may need a tachograph. Very different if it is registered as a Motor Caravan as you can get it re-plated up to the total of the two axle weights but I don't think you can use a motor caravan carrying commercial goods. For all the details speak to Dee at Van Weight Engineering.

Have you thought of taking part of the load on a trailer that way avoiding overloading the van?
Thanks for the reply rad_vw, there is no tow bar and to be honest (lack of time to get one fitted) I'm reluctant to take my trailer all the way, reason being the ferry fees, it's totally different for driving and there's a high risk of it being stolen unfortunately. I did take a few things out and got it down to 3,750 kg which I think is about 7% overweight. A friend told me that most coppers will let you off if you're less than 10% over but this could be just wishful thinking. I'm leaving in 4 hours so I guess I'm committed to it now.

Danny

I can’t offer much help on being overloaded.

But, a big pat on the back for you. I have Ukrainian friends, some of whom are still in Ukraine.

Many people have forgotten how hard life is for those that still live there. Many have lost relatives, friends, homes and businesses. It is truly awful.

A friend I was messaging this morning is travelling to Kyiv today to see her family, I have my fingers crossed for her.
Thanks for the reply Tony L, yes it's absolutely mental in some ways when you get to the East, Alarms going off every few hours, no electricity for much of the day, destroyed buildings all over the place. It really turns my stomach in all honesty and yet the people are unbelievably stoic, Kyiv is a lovely city by the way, I'd definitely recommend a visit when the war is over.

Thanks for the reply rad_vw, there is no tow bar and to be honest (lack of time to get one fitted) I'm reluctant to take my trailer all the way, reason being the ferry fees, it's totally different for driving and there's a high risk of it being stolen unfortunately. I did take a few things out and got it down to 3,750 kg which I think is about 7% overweight. A friend told me that most coppers will let you off if you're less than 10% over but this could be just wishful thinking. I'm leaving in 4 hours so I guess I'm committed to it now.
You are doing a great service to the people of Ukraine and I wish you well. Take care and god speed with your project. You have no doubt got all the paperwork sorted to get through the French customs.

If the van doesn't look overloaded then I guess you don't stand much risk of getting pulled in the UK on a weekend.

It would be nice if you could keep us posted on the journey both outbound and back home.

Good luck.

Trip went well, the van never missed a beat, I'm genuinely impressed with the it. I did just over 5000 miles on the trip to eastern Ukraine and had no problems, despite being around 250kg overloaded.

Back