Diesel heater pump and filter

Grubscrew

Pro
After much thought I decided to fit these ( filter and pump) above the ad blue tank in the recesse just forward of that. There’s a nice space, relatively easy to access.

Currently I’m knocking up a stainless steel plate with two mounting bolts on chassis, then The bolts will have rubber backing bushes behind plate, to hopefully absorb pump noise. I’ve also used quick release couplings on this before the filter and after the pump, because I know what’ll happen some years down the line!

Just waiting for some stainless hose clips , and support bracket for filter.

Beyond the pump , I plan to clip 6mm copper pipe up into the underside of heater unit .

FA49F872-CB1C-47CB-9839-AEC262E2AB8C.jpeg

2A1F7FC5-EBE4-4B0E-90CC-5959F21A57CE.jpeg

Be aware that pump pulse noise can easily be transferred to the inside of the vehicle if the pipework is in solid contact with the body/chassis.

That’s a very good point.
I understand that the supplied (with heater) green fuel pipe is not brilliant. Presumably that’s because the pulse effect of the pump expands the pipe ever so slightly, on every pulse, therefore requiring the pump to work harder in order to get fuel to its destination.
I’m thinking that nylon pipe (PA6) is the way to go.
Issue is I’m having to run this above one of the catalytic converter It’s not too close, and have noticed other wiring etc already in that vicinity. Alternatively , it’s fabricate a small ally heat shield.
Back to the copper pipe as another theme on variation : Run this through slightly larger diameter nylon pipe , and using appropriate clips to secure to chassis.
🤔🤔. I’ll think on that

I can't answer the actual fuel pipe type question as I have always in the past used Eberspachers which have had the fuel pipe in the installation kit. However if I can find a piece in my box of bits I will measure it and let you know the i/d and o/d of that.

@Grubscrew, I've measured the Eberspacher supplied hard white pipe, it's 4mm o/d and about 1.4mm i/d. If you are struggling for some let me know as i have some left over from previous installations.

Hi Rod. Thanks for your kindly offer, greatly appreciated.
I had a look through all my pipe bits ( I don’t throw stuff away generally if it’s usable), and managed to find some black PA6 off my compressor . Long enough too, and same size as yours.👍👍.

So after much thought on location of this heater, it’s going underneath the van.
So underneath, below driver seat ish, there is a recess that’s way up between chassis member. Rectangular in shape , like the heater, I’m in the process of using Zintec sheet and making a “shelf” hanging from stainless studding. Just need to fabricate som angle brackets etc .

The said fuel line is now close by. I may however have to extend the wiring to reach its desired location. The warm air duct will need insulation and that’ll come up under kitchen units with a modified rectangular vent to exit in the cabin.

I ended up with a splash guard on the stainless, although it’s pretty tucked away, best be safe.

Onward to the heater . Ended up fabricating a cradle held in with stainless bolts studding and nuts. I don’t do rust. As it seems anything “zinced” rust in a short space of time, rendering it undoable in the future.
The location of this is brilliant. Well tucked away, and having incorporated a splash guard and rubber edge should escape virtually all splashes.
There was no evidence of splashed water prior to fitting.

ACFA7201-E693-463C-A695-49FB7107E205.jpeg

5FBCAEA1-E40C-4F13-85D9-86290820A068.jpeg

CF97BFEF-8C33-4C49-A276-ACA6591FB076.jpeg

1B4B3E00-47A2-4A89-A2D0-939FDADB6C27.jpeg

Did you remember that the outgoing pipe from the pump should slope upwards and the pipe tight to the pump.

Eberspacher installation instructions...

1674396254634.png

Hiya. Yes thanks for that.
That’s my next but one task . I’ve not yet run the fuel line to the heater yet.
Currently I’m doing that “lovely “ bit you have to guess where the heating duct will emerge from under to inside the van. Measure etc. Hate drilling wrong holes!

I have ordered a couple of ducts of 90* elbows so there’s less area taken up for the floor connection from flexi.
All that crawling under van and out again , in the cold, is quite tiring!
👍

Back