Buying a crafter

Bmg1

Hi folks
Just sold my t6 LWb camper . Buying a bigger van for a bigger conversion .
Thinking crafter LWB trendline with 140 engine.
Sound like the sensible option . Im planning buying new or as close to new as possible
Any advice welcome .
B

Always get a quote from VW and MAN for the same spec so don't think you have to be restricted to VW packages. I found MAN much more flexible with the options and at a lower price!

We ordered a LWB MAN TGE 177ps auto high roof to our own spec in August 2021 but fell foul of the delays caused by component shortages so it wasn't delivered until November 2022. However our suppliers honoured the originally quoted price. Other delays have caused the conversion yet to be completed but it is going forwards now.

Our purchase and conversion process is on this forum but progress is not yet updated, hopefully it will be in the near future.

Coming from a T6 myself, I found the Crafter to be a very easy and comfy drive and I too have the 140 LWB. But I’d recommend test driving a LWB before buying as the turning circle can be a PITA, it’s pretty poor. It didn’t me, but it might put others off.

Also, just to throw an idea in, keep an eye out for a super high roof. It’s a game changer in terms of inside space/ layout design. It has a very robust fibreglass roof, and is totally smooth on top, making solar and vent fitting so much easier.

I have the trendline 140 lwb. Turning circle 17m but no rear overhang to worry much about. A reversing camera its a good add on, and rear air assist. The single leaf will start sagging after 2-3years.

Pretty much settled on a 2022 trendline 140.
Booked in to the convertors for oct/november .
Just getting finer detail sorted. Trying to figure out right bed height. I do alot of downhill biking. So need space for my bikes height wise 850mm with the front wheel off .
Wht beds have people used and bike racks?
Any help appreciated

Not much help.....but I have extralwb...so noway am I adding extra length with external rack.
I put mine in a purpose carry bag and tied between the rear seats for travelling.

I keep my road bike under the bed. The bed height is at 850mm.

I started off with a bracket fitted to one of the tie down points in the floor, which in turn had a mount for the front forks. The bike sat across the van right at the back. The only problem was it obstructed the rest of the garage space.

In my latest van I just use a bike bag. It will fit across the back or longwise under the bed. I have found this a better solution.IMG_8567.jpeg

Back