16” Tyre sizes?

Andycarnut

Hi all! Does anyone know why VW offered two tyre sizes for the 6.5 x 16 wheels? I have 205/75 16 Contis on currently. The alternative is 235/65. I have a 2017 LwB Crafter 177bhp, running at 3.5t loaded.

I want the setup to look good but really want the best ride, handling and low road noise. If I could get a bit more grip in wet grassy field / bit of mud that would be super but I think any all terrain tyres will just increase road noise a lot. I thought the 205 should be quietest as they are fairly narrow. They are quiet, but when fully inflated to their recommend pressures (4 and 4.9 bar) they do ‘thump’ annoyingly over potholes etc. lowering them even by just 0.2 - 0.3bar improves the ride noticeably but I don’t think that’s a great idea to run below spec.

I originally went for black 16” Autec Quantro 5 spoke alloys from Tunershop GMBH in Germany in 2020 and they’ve been superb. Designed for the Crafter and the Paint finish is lasting really well and allowed me to use the good tyres my van had.

So if I go for 235/65 the pressures can be far lower it seems (3.4, 4.2) but does anyone have any experience of how they compare? Any benefits or downside would be good to hear.

I was also considering going for a slightly larger diameter tyre 225/75x16 (30mm larger diameter and 20mm wider of course) And possibly going for all season. On our latest trip to Scandinavia I have seen lots of oversize tyres on mororhomes which probably improves the ride I guess (presumably not just done to fill the arches?).

Any knowledge or suggestions appreciated.

IMG_2111.png

Back