Solar Bits

I like the looks of the framework but how does it fit with Fiamma or Thule awning brackets, have you investigated that yet? Mine is a LWB by the way.

Panels and scanstrut cable entry on. Been pleased with extruded aluminium framework for roof rack so far.
View attachment 200
Just found this thread when looking at roof rack options, appreciate its a bit old bit how did you get on with the ally extrusion roof rack? Did you have to raise the back of it due to the roof sweeping down? Any more pics?

Yes I needed to make spacers / risers to level it all out as well. Bought some of this which I cut to various lengths and then drilled hole through the centres to even it out.

Yes I needed to make spacers / risers to level it all out as well. Bought some of this which I cut to various lengths and then drilled hole through the centres to even it out.
Thanks for the reply, seems like a nice simple solution! once you've drilled a hole down the centre of the HDPE was it just a long t-bolt hooked into the ally extrution, through the HDPE and throught the roof of the van with a nut fastened from underneath?

Would love to see a pic of the van from the side if you've got one!

Yep that was basically it. With plenty of sealant as well and it’s been fine. I’ll get some more pics in daylight tomorrow.

I went for Bosch Rexroth stuff from here . 4040 profile. Pretty expensive and might try a cheaper alternative next time perhaps these.

Yep that was basically it. With plenty of sealant as well and it’s been fine. I’ll get some more pics in daylight tomorrow.

I went for Bosch Rexroth stuff from here . 4040 profile. Pretty expensive and might try a cheaper alternative next time perhaps these.
That would be awesome!

Looks great, and I’m sure it was a lot cheaper than a front runner rack!

Im probably going to do something similar now, just seems suck a good solution

I went for flexi panels using sikaflex .
I would say however, output stated and actual output can be somewhat different!

IMG_1459.jpeg

EBay special! .
At the time , these were the only ones which fitted between the s/s Unistrut perfectly, enabling the ally strip to contain the sides. Each panel claims “ 160watt” max . 🤔

Make sure you have some cheese wire and hope you fused them with proper gPV fuse. They do develop brown spots from lack of air flow. If they are directly bonded to the metal they gonna have a accelerated degradation.
Some ppl bonded to multi wall polycarbonate then fitted to a roof rack to have some cooling . Imagine in summer how hot the metal gets, let alone the panel. Make sure you fuse them.

The air flow is integral to the efficiency of the panels. Because of the ribbed roof effect, I’ve managed to use the crests of the ridges as the bonding area. There is also an 8 mm gap between the two panels . Also there is ventilation fore and aft which also allows water to drain away.
If I was going to do it again, I would bond each panel to a similar size sheet of .9 aluminium, because that dissipates heat very well, and provides a flexible yet more stable back ground to the panel, as I’ve found the panels are subject to slight dips and ridges in a lesser form to the actual roof it’s bonded to.

Back