Security - Ghost II

nuttyjnr

Hi all, having spent a small fortune on getting the van and about to get it converted I need to look at security. Not as straightforward as I imagined due to the variety of options. I am tempted down the Ghost II route as my research has suggested it is a good system, if installed by a reputable comapny. Has anyone in the forum got Ghost and if so, how have you found it?

Thanks in advance - Richard

I've not used these folks but they come very highly recommended in the motorhome community.

I may be looking towards them when my conversion is complete, they won't do any work before it is complete as the positioning of sensors is dictated by the final design/layout.

Ghost are very good.

Dependent upon value, you’ll need to consider having a tracker installed as well, a lot of insurance companies insist on them. A lifetime package can work out much cheaper.

Also..
Consider visible security.

A thief will peel /hole a door before finding it won’t start. An immobiliser and tracker won’t do anything to prevent a break in, esp as anyone seeing you park up would hope for cash/cards and passports to be kept inside.

If you tend to leave your van parked up in a secluded car park whilst you wander off for a hike, you might want to consider fitting deadlocks to deter a break in and all the damage that entails whether or not there is anything in it to steal, they won’t know that. Anyone seeing you walk away will think that they have plenty of time.

Sorry to be so negative, but it’s taken me a while and plenty of ££s to feel comfortable.

I speak from experience, 32yrs police and 15 yrs relevant roles beyond that.

I've not used these folks but they come very highly recommended in the motorhome community.

I may be looking towards them when my conversion is complete, they won't do any work before it is complete as the positioning of sensors is dictated by the final design/layout.
Thank you. I'll take a look :)

Ghost are very good.

Dependent upon value, you’ll need to consider having a tracker installed as well, a lot of insurance companies insist on them. A lifetime package can work out much cheaper.

Also..
Consider visible security.

A thief will peel /hole a door before finding it won’t start. An immobiliser and tracker won’t do anything to prevent a break in, esp as anyone seeing you park up would hope for cash/cards and passports to be kept inside.

If you tend to leave your van parked up in a secluded car park whilst you wander off for a hike, you might want to consider fitting deadlocks to deter a break in and all the damage that entails whether or not there is anything in it to steal, they won’t know that. Anyone seeing you walk away will think that they have plenty of time.

Sorry to be so negative, but it’s taken me a while and plenty of ££s to feel comfortable.

I speak from experience, 32yrs police and 15 yrs relevant roles beyond that.
Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

I have found a couple of suppliers that will do a Ghost II immobiliser and S7 tracker as a package. Not cheap, but neither was the van and conversion. I'll also look at locks too. This will be our forever van, so I need to protect it.

I’ve not heard of Ghost….bit of a dinosaur me on some things…
I fitted some of those van deadlocks….whilst the passenger and driver’s door are straight forward to fit, the sliding door is fairly crap…here’s why….
Because of the window I had to use the lower down lock unit…well what a dissatisfying result!
So the rear of the sliding door gets the lock. The door face it’s flat, however , the inside return of the door panel is angled at 20* and the deadlock has to also be at that angle, thus kicking out of flush the bit you put your key in…so that ends up being 20* angle to the face of the door, creating the crappiest result ever.
As for the rear door, I’ve a drop bolt , ( slide bolt) on the inside that is fixed to the inside of the near side door. That bolt is spring loaded and goes into a 10mm chequer plate billet bolted to the floor.
To top it all, I’ve got cctv on all three sides which covers tail and both sides.
However if they try hard enough, they’ll get it in the end.
Then there is the catalytic converter….plenty of beefing up went on there….10mm stainless steel Bowden cable through various welded channel adaptations, and chassis holes, will cause a real headache for the perpetrators.
Reciprocating saw’s cannot saw through the cable, as that’s their choice of dismembering!

Back