Power/signal pickups for aftermarket accessories on 2022 Crafter

Rocrat

Hi all ,
I’m busy with a fit out of a 2022 Crafter and will be fitting an ARB Linx digital switching system for my accessories. I’m dead scared of cutting wires and tapping in to any system like we did in the older vehicles . Perhaps someone can point me to the correct process .
Need signal for the following
ACC
Power on run
High beam
Low beam
Reverse light
Hooter
Right turn signal
Left turn signal
Attachment for DCDC aux battery charger .
Any help would be greatly appreciated. This VW canbus system scares the crap out of me , it’s not like any regular canbus system

I’m not familiar with that ARB system. Presumably what you are saying is that are you taking power from the vehicle battery or are you using independent batteries….

I’m not familiar with that ARB system. Presumably what you are saying is that are you taking power from the vehicle battery or are you using independent batteries….
Hi Grubscrew ,
Not taking power from vehicle start battery other than DCDC charger . I have a large LiFePo house bank going in for all my aftermarket add ons including off-road lighting and the regular induction cooktop and convection oven and refrigerator.
Plan is to overland and ride mountain bike trails wherever possible.
The Linx handles all the switching digitally through a wireless pad so I can move the pad around to wherever needed at the time .

Blimey….not surmised it scares the crap out of you, it would me too.
So this signalling you’re after to these circuits, what do you mean by that, just trying to get my head round that.
Cheers.

So just need to do a voltage tap when these circuits are used to signal the particular circuit is in use so the digital switching can do its thing .
For instance my roof mounted light bar will be able to get a signal from high beam to turn on if I want to use it .
Turn signals are for my 360 birds eyeview camera system which features driving assist , so if I put on a turn signal the system will use that side camera to check for any traffic in the blind spot . ACC is obviously to signal the system to turn on and power on run to signal the vehicle is running .
On the old vehicles we would just cut a wire at the steering column and take a wire tap off there to do this .
With the sophistication of the VW canbus if there is a higher draw on a specific circuit , it will throw out a fault code , typical instance is you can’t just swap the halogen bulbs for LED bulbs , the ECU throws a fit . Turn signals you can’t take from the steering column because it’s 0-5v canbus voltage .
I would like to just be able to use a fuse tap from the fuse box , but am worried it will toss a fault code at me .

Haven’t been able to find any info of what the proper way would be to do this 😬

When I wanted to install fog lights, it was either piggy back of a switched live from the ECU which would have needed re programming to take such a modification,OR, find a spare switched live (s/l) in the fuse box array .

A couple of spare switched fuse locations can be found under the passenger seat. (See blue area high lighted).
This particular bank all have switched live, ie , turn the ignition on one click and that’ll liven up this portion of the circuit.
All others in the adjacent banks of fuses appear permanently live, ie ignition off entirely.

Coming back to the fog lights I did install: I used a spare s/l to a 4 pin relay, then a permanent live from battery via fuse, earth, then a live to fog lights via led light switch.
This omitted the ecu & extra programming required.

I hope this may be of some help in a roundabout way.

811E500E-2084-4B57-8C89-4B046B08928A.jpeg

When I wanted to install fog lights, it was either piggy back of a switched live from the ECU which would have needed re programming to take such a modification,OR, find a spare switched live (s/l) in the fuse box array .

A couple of spare switched fuse locations can be found under the passenger seat. (See blue area high lighted).
This particular bank all have switched live, ie , turn the ignition on one click and that’ll liven up this portion of the circuit.
All others in the adjacent banks of fuses appear permanently live, ie ignition off entirely.

Coming back to the fog lights I did install: I used a spare s/l to a 4 pin relay, then a permanent live from battery via fuse, earth, then a live to fog lights via led light switch.
This omitted the ecu & extra programming required.

I hope this may be of some help in a roundabout way.

View attachment 287
Thanks mate , I have checked all that , but it doesn’t help me needing all the other specific circuit signals . I will use my house battery to power all the accessories, so no tapping into vehicle circuits for power . As I mentioned in my initial thread post , I need to get a power signal from the various circuits to notify my digital switching unit when to switch things on and off . I may need to contact one of the van conversion companies in the UK to see if they could point me in the right direction 😉, as mentioned, don’t want to trigger any fault codes by doing something wrong . The VW distributor in Panama are clueless and if I brick something they don’t have any stock of spares to replace items . It would be quicker to climb on a plane and fly to Europe or UK to get parts 🤦🏼

It’s amazing how little knowledge some companies have.
On that subject I too am unable to offer much help really, so I wish you well in your endeavour. I’ll watch the thread with interest .

Back