Flexible solar panels on roof.

Grubscrew

Pro
With the vast array of panels on the market, I was having a dilemma as to type of panels.

Having opted for 3x160 Watt flexible panels , the size between the gutters was absolutely perfect. In order to keep the assembly to a lower profile as opposed to on a ridged frame . And somewhat more streamlined.
This gave upto 480 watts.

Using stainless Unistrut this allows you to secure the panels around the edges with thin plate, then using Sikaflex to adhere the panels onto the roof, still allowing air to flow and any rain water to escape.

The Unistrut comes in 3 or 6 metre lengths, and allows you to run the solar wires within the channels.
If you decide to have an awning, there are various options for fixing the support brackets to the spring loaded nuts which fit in the strut. Fixing the Unistruts to the gutter was also straightforward as being peppered with elongated holes there was a suitable hole in the van roof gutter that married up. Sealing the bolt holes is crucial.

In hind sight, I think I’d put s/steel thin sheet adhered to each solar panel, just to make them a little more sturdy, yet flex, then stick to roof ribs, as some deflection has taken place since, however the panels continue to push out the original wattage to date.

2B2DF8B7-F17F-4B9B-A31B-A2B26F706250.jpeg

Very neat, nicely done and plenty of power there. 👍

We have a superhigh roof version so the roof finish is completely smooth fibreglass, no reinforcing insets at all.

Our 2x 180 flexi solar panels sit nicely provide no noise when travelling and (fingers crossed) they’ve worked really well too.

6B49C6DB-BE84-4CBD-9395-286CA4CB0299.jpeg

Looks very nice indeed, and very neat cabling, you can’t even see them. I’m just curious how long they will last due to heat.

I too was wondering that. As over 25* c the panels tend to loose their efficiency. An air gap is recommended for that reason.

Can't remember full conversation but something about these panels that negated the overheating? :unsure:
The terminology is temperature coefficient. Witch means, it derates a certain percentage per each degC above 25C, and increases voltage from 25C down. Tipical temperature coefficient for monocristaline cells is 0.35% per degC. So at 40C will be 0.35x 15, of the nameplate rating.

That’s fine derating happens in all mono or poly panels. What I’m concerned it’s extreme heat from metal roof will cause micro cracks to the cells, eventually developing very high resistance, until they stop working. This is a very common fault, and a pita to remove with a cheese wire after.

With the vast array of panels on the market, I was having a dilemma as to type of panels.

Having opted for 3x160 Watt flexible panels , the size between the gutters was absolutely perfect. In order to keep the assembly to a lower profile as opposed to on a ridged frame . And somewhat more streamlined.
This gave upto 480 watts.

Using stainless Unistrut this allows you to secure the panels around the edges with thin plate, then using Sikaflex to adhere the panels onto the roof, still allowing air to flow and any rain water to escape.

The Unistrut comes in 3 or 6 metre lengths, and allows you to run the solar wires within the channels.
If you decide to have an awning, there are various options for fixing the support brackets to the spring loaded nuts which fit in the strut. Fixing the Unistruts to the gutter was also straightforward as being peppered with elongated holes there was a suitable hole in the van roof gutter that married up. Sealing the bolt holes is crucial.

In hind sight, I think I’d put s/steel thin sheet adhered to each solar panel, just to make them a little more sturdy, yet flex, then stick to roof ribs, as some deflection has taken place since, however the panels continue to push out the original wattage to date.

View attachment 365
Looks good, im looking at solar panel mounting options currently and unistrut has come up a few times. I was under the impression that the curvature of a new model crafter would mean the unistrut wouldnt sit anywhere near flat in the gutters - Did you find this to be the case?

Flexible panels and stainless Unistrut sounds like a smart solution for maximizing solar capacity while maintaining a low profile and streamlined appearance. Securing the panels around the edges with thin plate and using Sikaflex for adhesion seems like a reliable method for installation. Integrating the cigs solar panels wires within the Unistrut channels is a neat way to keep everything tidy and organized.

Back